How to fix desktop

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

How to fix desktop

Post by Executioner »

I've never seen this before and I have no idea how to fix it. It's my father-in-laws Dell laptop. It was running 7 so I upgraded it to 10 hoping it would fix the desktop but it kept it. I also installed Open Shell and it did not fix it either. Screen shots below. I've googled and the only options were to do a reset which I've never done before, or to fix icons. The issue is the task bar on the right. My father-in-law has no idea how that happened. It even shows the language info which I can't remove either.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: How to fix desktop

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Easy fix. Unlock the task bar so it can be moved. Then click on a blank area on it and drag it to the bottom of the screen. Then lock the task bar so he can't accidentally move it again.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

It's already unlocked and can't be moved.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Executioner wrote:It's already unlocked and can't be moved.
So you right clicked on the taskbar and unchecked "Lock all taskbars" and then while holding the left mouse button on the taskbar you tried to drag it to the bottom? The taskbar won't follow the mouse, you just have to click and hold down the left mouse button on the taskbar and then move the mouse to the bottom while still pressing the left mouse button down. When the mouse gets near the bottom of the monitor screen it you'll see the taskbar jump down.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Besides the moving of the task bar, notice "Desktop" in the task bar. If I click on this, it shows the icons etc. on the desktop. I can't get rid if that either. Like I said, I've never seen this setup before in a desktop. My father-in-law wants the task bar on the right, but does not want the current format. I'll see if I can get a few more pictures of this and the language item that can't be removed either.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The 'Desktop' on the taskbar is a toolbar. Right click a blank area on the task bar, click on 'Toolbars', uncheck 'Desktop'.

The language item is for the keyboard. If that's showing then at some point someone added a second language for the keyboard. You need to delete the second language in Windows Settings:
https://blogs.umass.edu/Techbytes/2019/ ... -keyboard/

He WANTS the Taskbar on the right? Heresy!

Actually, I suspect he dragged it there by accident a while back and just got used to it. I've had some clients who did that. :)
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

OK I finally got it fixed. He had a hidden tool bar, so once I deleted that it now looks normal. I also fixed the language by during off "input indicator". https://www.top-password.com/blog/hide- ... indows-10/