Mail Server (personal)

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Losbot
Almighty Member

Mail Server (personal)

Post by Losbot »

I'm looking for recommendations on mail servers for personal use. I currently run my own personal mail server for a couple of domains that I have. I pay about $12/mo for a server in the "cloud" to host it. The server I use is getting long in the tooth and I'd like something newer. I can't update it because I refuse to pay the crazy amount it costs, to upgrade, so I've been locked into the version I'm on.

Any recommendations are welcomed. Can be Windows or Unix based. Just thought I'd ask.
------------------------------------------

psypher
Golden Member

Re: Mail Server (personal)

Post by psypher »

I use siteground.com for web hosting (except name registration and DNS, that's on AWS). I used to use them for email as well before I moved it to O365. If you don't need anything complicated you can try them. Email is included, so depending on what you need, you might be able to move everything there.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

psypher wrote:I use siteground.com for web hosting (except name registration and DNS, that's on AWS). I used to use them for email as well before I moved it to O365. If you don't need anything complicated you can try them. Email is included, so depending on what you need, you might be able to move everything there.
I'll check out their services. Thanks.

b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

What are you paying for these hosted servers to run your own mail server? The cheapest M365 license will get you a 50GB mailbox and basically unlimited shared mailboxes, if you need other send-as accounts. $5/month:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microso ... verviewtab

ah...oops...you said $12/month.

You can add all the vanity domains you want as well.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

b-man1 wrote:What are you paying for these hosted servers to run your own mail server? The cheapest M365 license will get you a 50GB mailbox and basically unlimited shared mailboxes, if you need other send-as accounts. $5/month:
Yes but I have 2 domains and in those 2 domains, I create lots of accounts and aliases. I have accounts for the family and I have lots of alias email addresses so that I can keep spam under control. I'll create aliases for different vendors or websites. I'll typically name it after some company and when I see that I'm getting unsolicited crap that's addressed to that company's email alias, then I know they're selling my email address to others. It's just me. I'll then delete it or change it. Problem solved.

I do enjoy having control over the email and domains. I'm just needed to upgrade, as the current server is behind now and unless I pay up way more than I care to, I can't update the software. I'd rather spend it on a hosted solution and let them worry about it.