Mozilla beefs up anti-cross-site tracking in Firefox

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

Mozilla beefs up anti-cross-site tracking in Firefox

Post by Executioner »

https://techcrunch.com/2021/02/24/mozil ... n-privacy/
Mozilla has further beefed up anti-tracking measures in its Firefox browser. In a blog post yesterday it announced that Firefox 86 has an extra layer of anti-cookie tracking built into the enhanced tracking protection (ETP) strict mode — which it’s calling ‘Total Cookie Protection’ (TCP).

This “major privacy advance”, as it bills it, prevents cross-site tracking by siloing third party cookies per website.

Mozilla likens this to having a separate cookie jar for each site — so, for e.g., Facebook cookies aren’t stored in the same tub as cookies for that sneaker website where you bought your latest kicks and so on.

The new layer of privacy wrapping “provides comprehensive partitioning of cookies and other site data between websites in Firefox”, explains Mozilla.

Along with another anti-tracking feature it announced last month — targeting so called ‘supercookies’ — aka sneaky trackers that store user IDs in “increasingly obscure” parts of the browser (like Flash storage, ETags, and HSTS flags), i.e. where it’s difficult for users to delete or block them — the features combine to “prevent websites from being able to ‘tag’ your browser, thereby eliminating the most pervasive cross-site tracking technique”, per Mozilla.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Mozilla beefs up anti-cross-site tracking in Firefox

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I noticed that they changed the print preview, for the better. That's been very clunky up until now.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "