At Least 30,000 U.S. Organizations Newly Hacked Via Holes in Microsoft’s Email Software

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

At Least 30,000 U.S. Organizations Newly Hacked Via Holes in Microsoft’s Email Software

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I used to have a law firm as a client who insisted on running their own email exchange server, despite no inhouse admin, and it was like pulling teeth to get them to do updates, or even use non-stupid (123456) passwords for that matter. I dropped them many years ago when they refused to upgrade from Server NT when it hit end of support. Somehow I managed to keep them safe up to that point despite them. The partners were nice people, but real penny pinchers.

I had to laugh when the senior partner complained one time about how much I was charging them (and keep mind, back then my labor rates were pretty low compared to my competitors, because back then I was aggressively looking for new clients, and I was also too damn nice). It was a little hard not to laugh at him when he complained about the $75 an hour I charged, when on his desk was a sign saying their standard hourly rate was $250 an hour. :bang

This hack giving you any grief, Los?

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/03/at- ... -software/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: At Least 30,000 U.S. Organizations Newly Hacked Via Holes in Microsoft’s Email Software

Post by Losbot »

Grief, yes. Not so much to me but our System Engineer is going nuts. We got hit the day before MS announced it. We patched and got hit 2 days ago.
We found a 30MB rar file that's password locked, that they created and we believe they pulled some data. Everyone has changed their password now 3 times this week as a precaution.

Currently running a brute force attack on that rar file, on a spare PC. We're curious to know what they compressed and transferred.

SMH
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: At Least 30,000 U.S. Organizations Newly Hacked Via Holes in Microsoft’s Email Software

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Sorry to hear that. Have fun. :(
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "