Halp!

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Elmdea
Goober Member

Halp!

Post by Elmdea »

So ... I updated Windows 10 about a week ago. Now my external speakers don't work. Headphones do. Can't figure out how to make the speakers work. And ... John did all my computer update and fixing. My navigation skills for figuring out things on my hard drive or ? are probably more dangerous than doing nothing.
Any ideas/suggestions? That are relatively simple? Or do I need to find someone local to come out and figure it out?
Thank you.
(I miss John ... )
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Halp!

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You say the headphones work.

Are the speakers plugged into the back of the computer and the headphones in the front?

Make sure the headphones are unplugged because plugging in the headphones into the front jack, disables the rear speaker jack.

Can you confirm the speakers are plugged in and that the plug wasn't pull out? Any visitors that may have pulled out the speaker plug and plugged it into the wrong jack? The audio jacks on the back are USUALLY color coded and if they are, the speaker jack will be the green one.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Elmdea
Goober Member

Post by Elmdea »

Thank you!
Sigh. Sometimes its the simple and obvious things.
Yes, speakers plug in in the back, headphones in the front. I hadn't checked if the speakers were plugged in in the back -- they were, but they were loose. I'm suspecting the cat (truly). I'm the only person here and no one's been in the house besides me in more months than I want to count.
I disconnected the headphones. There are 2 plugins for them. Before (pre-update) I left the right one plugged in and only plugged in left one when I wanted to use the headphones. The speakers worked that way. Turns out the update switched them, because now I can leave the left one plugged in while using the speakers. Strange. Or maybe not.
Thank you again.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Front jacks are microphone and headphone. Headphone usually has a tiny, black on black, almost impossible to see, icon of a headset. Microphone can stay connected all the time.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Elmdea
Goober Member

Post by Elmdea »

I would swear I didn't reverse the microphone/headphone jacks and ... between grief brain and pandemic isolation, I probably did and forgot what I was doing. I'm also remembering John saying that 90% (give or take) of "computer problems" are operator error. Durn! That would be me this time. Thank you for being patient and explaining. I very much appreciate it.
And yes, cats, lol.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Not a problem. Any time.