Windows 10 Photo Import Broken in 20H2 Update

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Err
Life Member

Windows 10 Photo Import Broken in 20H2 Update

Post by Err »

I've been on the 2H20 Update for several months with no issues. However, I noticed today that the Photo Import will no longer import photos and videos from an SD card into folders by YYYY-MM-DD. Instead, Windows will dump everything into the Pictures Library unorganized. You can specify the destination manually in the Photos app but that's quite annoying. I confirmed this is an issue on the reddit forums.

I haven't found a workaround yet. It's odd that this functionality would be removed.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Windows 10 Photo Import Broken in 20H2 Update

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hmm. I hate it when they change the way something works. I never use the built in photo import so can't confirm. I prefer to sort and copy photo files by hand. I actually don't even use the Win10 photo app as I've never liked it. First thing I do on a new build is restore the old Win7 Photo Viewer which I prefer. There's a registry hack that brings it back.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Re: Windows 10 Photo Import Broken in 20H2 Update

Post by Err »

I found a workaround to bring up the old import dialog:

Code: Select all

rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer\photoAcq.dll",PhotoAndVideoAcquire
Paste this in RUN and you can select the device to import from. It will sort the photos into dated folders. I haven't tried this with videos yet.