Microsoft: Windows 10 1809 and 1909 have reached end of service

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Microsoft: Windows 10 1809 and 1909 have reached end of service

Post by FlyingPenguin »

If you've been blocking build updates, be aware security updates have ended for 1909 and all previous builds.

If you decide to update your build, I would recommend going straight to 20H2 (Yeah, new build number system: H1 for first half, H2 for 2nd half of the year), which is the October 2020 build, and is rock stable at this point and has had all update blocks removed (it was being blocked on some hardware for driver issues).

If you use Windows update, it may try to update you to the 2004 (MAY 2020) build first, and then offer you the 20H2 build. If you have the 20H2 installer you can just upgrade straight to it. Needless to say, image your boot drive first, just in case.

21H1 (May 2021) was technically made available last month but it's not in the channel yet (if you run the Media Creation Tool, it still gives you 20H2). I'd personally treat 21H1 as a beta until 21H2 is released, and steer clear for now.

I just upgraded all my PCs (which were on 1903 and 1909) to 20H2 with no issues, however, I use Group Policy to block driver updates via Windows Update, which is where most people run into problems. I prefer to manage my own drivers.

All that said, if you're a careful person, you can probably continue to run your older build safely for several more months until some earth-shattering exploit is discovered that MS refuses to patch, just make sure all your security patches are up to date.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/micros ... f-service/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Microsoft: Windows 10 1809 and 1909 have reached end of service

Post by Executioner »

I'm on 1909 on my desktop. All I see is "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes".
I have feature updates at 365 days and quality updates at 30 days. I'm sure the newer versions took these options away.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Those options are still available in the newer version. Sometimes they're hidden - in my case because I'm a limited user - but you can still adjust them via Group Policy, which is even more flexible (like specifically blocking auto driver updates, or forcing all updates to manual).

Dunno if I've posted this before but here you go:

Code: Select all

DISABLE AUTO UPDATES IN WIN10 PRO WITH GROUP POLICY:
	- Open Group Policy Editor gpedit.msc
	- Go to \Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update\
	- Set "Configure Automatic Updates" to enabled and then select option 2 in the drop down box called "Notify for download and notify for install"

CONFIGURE WINDOWS UPDATE TO DEFER FEATURE UPGRADES 365 DAYS VIA GROUP POLICY: 
	- Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Windows Update for Business > Select when Preview and Feature Updates are received: Set to Semi-annual & 365 days deferral.

CONFIGURE QUALITY UPDATES ARE DEFERRED 30 DAYS IN GROUP POLICY EDITOR: 
	- Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Windows Update for Business > Select when Quality Updates are received: set defferal to 30 days

DISABLE AUTO DRIVER UPDATES IN WINDOWS UPDATE USING GROUP POLICY EDITOR: 
	- Admin Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> Enable "Do not include drivers with Windows Updates"

- Check that Windows Update restrictions stuck via Updates -> Adv Options -> View Configured update policies (it should list all the administrative exceptions enabled in group policy - this is sometimes reset after a build update)
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Thanks for that - never seen that before. I could not find the last one: Check that Windows Updates restrictions stuck via Updates > Adv Options.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

The download did not take long, but the update did. Must have taken 30-45 minutes to install. It starts to run slower when it gets to 90%.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I could not find the last one: Check that Windows Updates restrictions stuck via Updates > Adv Options.

It's not obvious that it's a clickable button, and I don't think it even appears unless you've setup Group Policy settings.

[img]http://www.soldcentralfl.com/bob/update103.jpg[/img]

Then the next window lists all the configured update policies:

[img]http://www.soldcentralfl.com/bob/update102.jpg[/img]