The Installation Failed in the SAFE_OS Phase

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

The Installation Failed in the SAFE_OS Phase

Post by Executioner »

I decided to update my last desktop running windows 7. The 10 update seemed to work just fine after the downloads and first reboot, but then I get the message after it restores my original OS:

0x8007001F - 0x20006
The Installation Failed in the SAFE_OS Phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation

I did go through and update every driver as some suggested on a google search. I also ran sfc /scannow and it found no errors. I also disconnected any usb devices except for the usb flash drive with the win10 20H2. I ran setup from within windows 7. Not sure what else to try. It is an old mobo 10+ years with only a duo cpu. I manly use it to store all my music and other files on the 4TB drive. I do have Eset Internet Security and Malwarebytes running, but I've updated other laptops with those running with no issues.

I do have another desktop ready to take over with 10, but this old win7 has a lot of programs which would require reinstalling all of them requiring a lot of time. If no solution comes up, I guess I'll just keep running it until it craps out.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: The Installation Failed in the SAFE_OS Phase

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hard to say. On really old hardware things happen. Might be just an incompatible driver Win10 is trying to install.

I assume this PC had internet access during the upgrade? You can try upgrading without Internet to prevent it from installing drivers. Conversely if you tried the update without Internet, try it with.

And I would remove anti virus before upgrading. Also disable all startups temporarily. Could be one background app or service hanging things up.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I tried it with no internet access and I disabled the AV and exited out of Malwarebytes. Same error code. So I'm going to try it one more time by selecting a clean boot option using msconfig.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

OK I used msconfig and disabled everything, and I also uninstalled Eset Internet Security and Malwarebytes. Same issue. So it must be some old hardware that is probably the issue. So I'll use the desktop until it craps out or I get tired of it.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I got it installed by using version 1607. Right now, it's going through a bunch of updates for 1607. Once that is done, then I can move on to the latest version.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hmmm. Interesting. I wonder why that worked.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I got the idea from this web site: https://blackwoodit.co.uk/knowledge-bas ... x8007001f/

I did try some other versions that did not work, but I never thought about going back this far.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Just another update. While trying to update to 20H2, It would fail with an error code. It only said to try again later. I looked up the error code and the first hit stated that I may have a modified HOST file. Sure enough. I forgot that I had Spybot Antibeacon installed which modified your HOST file. I deleted all that so it's back to a generic setting, and now it's downloading and installing 20H2. This made me think - what if the original issue I had on updating directly to 20H2 was the host file?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

WHAT!!!???? That makes no sense. A modded HOSTS file shouldn't prevent an upgrade. I just upgraded several PCs to 20H2 and all of them had Antibeacon and thus modded HOSTS files.

Unless... are you using the aggressive settings in Antibeacon? They'll block things like the update servers. I use the "Recommended" setting which blocks 63 items.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

It was an old version of Antibeacon for windows 7 that I installed years ago. It may have blocked server settings as you mentioned. There were quite a few lines in there - over 30.