MS will end support for Windows 10 on...

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

MS will end support for Windows 10 on...

Post by Executioner »

October 2025
Microsoft has revealed when it will put Windows 10 out to pasture. It will stop support for the current operating system on October 14th, 2025. That means Microsoft expects the transition to the next version of Windows, which it will show off on June 24th, to take around four years.

The company quietly announced the news in a support page update, as spotted by Thurrott. Previously, the page noted when Microsoft would end support for certain versions of Windows 10. It now states Microsoft started supporting Windows 10 Home and Pro on July 29th, 2015 and reveals the operating system's "retirement date." The end-of-support timeline puts the Windows 10 lifecycle at a hair over 10 years, similar to previous iterations of the OS.

As for what we're expecting from Windows 11 (or whatever it's called), there will probably be a redesign, including a revamped Windows Store. Microsoft recently canceled Windows 10X, which was initially going to be for dual-screen devices. It said it would bring some features planned for that OS into the standard version of Windows. Perhaps that'll make it easier for manufacturers and developers to support dual-screen devices without having to work with a separate version of Windows.
https://www.engadget.com/microsoft-wind ... 43024.html
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: MS will end support for Windows 10 on...

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hopefully Win 11 is evolutionary and not revolutionary. I'm hoping this is more about branding and marketing. We'll see.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... ts-new-os/

Oh thank the gods, Windows 11 has rounded window corners. /S

If the leaks are true, it looks more like UI options and installation screen over hall. I really wish that they would unify the settings such that they don't look like a combination of Windows 7 and 10. As long as I can turn most of the new features off, like the central task bar, I'll be fine.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Interesting looking MacOS style taskbar.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

More photos here with dark mode screens:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/15/2253 ... start-menu

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Linus got a hold of a pirated leaked build of Win11, played around with it, and even gamed on it. So far, it's looking like 11 is basically a GUI refresh of 10, but still seems to be 10 under the hood.

If you can stand Linus' silliness, you might want to skip ahead to 4:30:

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

So in other words another Vista?
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Almost looks like one of the Linux distros.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

And it's been confirmed that a lot of this can be customized back to the way it was. For instance, the centered task bar can be moved back to the left. I have no issues with the GUI changes as long as there are options or workaround to turn things off I don't want, and Open Shell still works with it. The new icons actually look nice too.

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

by 2025 for me anyway I'll be buying a new laptop . this news just made my upgrade time extended.as my plan was to buy a new laptop in the spring. now im just going to hold off till next fall by then Microsoft. should be releasing Windows what ever they will be calling it.
now its like every 5 years I upgrade my laptop . next time my plan is to buy a upper mid range laptop .