It's Official: Windows 11

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Re: It's Official: Windows 11

Post by reno »

just ran a check on my laptop said only one ? that its not sure of. that's was my video CPU a12 -9700 Radeon r-7.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

EXEC: You sure there's no TPM or Secure Boot option in BIOS? I have a similar mobo, an Asus Z170-A, and I know have a Secure Boot option.

I suspect that lame Microsoft utility can't detect TPM if it's not enabled in BIOS.

--------------------------
This video shows you can enable Secure Boot on your mobo.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hmm, maybe not. I always assumed Secure Boot required a TPM chip, but I'm reading that's not so. I guess TPM just makes it more secure.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

So I have TPM disabled, I'll check out enabling when I get some free time. My CPU shows as not compatible. I think it's like 5 years old, it's an i7-7700K
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Yeah I don't think my cpu is either: i5 Haswell on my Dell E6540 laptop. I'll have to check my desktop.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Err: They just announced that 7th gen CPUs are supported now.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I downloaded the leaked version and installed it in VirtualBox using win10 drop down. The desktop almost looks like what you would see in a Linux distro. I was able to install it using the pro version with a local account. Installed guest additions. I had to click on the "limited experience" in order to get the local account, but they sure are pushy in wanting you to have a MS account.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well that TPM test of running TPM.msc means nothing. My new 570X mobo in my gaming system definitely has a TPM chip, but it's not detecting TPM because I have Secure Boot disabled on it by deleting the PK Management key in BIOS (standard way to disable Secure boot on Asus mobos).

My old Asus Z170-A also has secure boot disabled by deleting the PK Management key.

Confusing.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

OKAY, the whole TPM thing is leading to mass confusion, and people probably wasting money on Ebay buying TPM modules they don't need.

My brand new mobo with an X570 chipset, I assume has to have a TPM chip, but still shows as no "TPM detected" running TPM.msc. So I guess this confirms that you CAN have Secure Boot without TPM enabled.

I assume it's disabled in BIOS by default since most DIY'ers haven't had any need for it until the requirement was announced for Win11. The only time I've ever seen TPM enabled by default is on Dell Optiplex business systems. Starting a few years ago I'd see a Dell TPM utility pre-installed on them on client's new PCs, as some enterprise encryption software makes use of them.

I'll have to poke around in BIOS. I was just reading an article that it's hard to figure out where the toggle is because different BIOS makers, and even different chipsets, use different names for it and it's usually not called "TPM".
In the BIOS or UEFI menu, there should be at least one option or tab labelled Security.

Once you're inside the Security section, you're going to be looking for the TPM settings. This might be clearly labeled "TPM Device," "TPM Security" or some variation. On Intel machines, it will sometimes be labeled "PTT" or "Intel Trusted Platform Technology." It might also appear as "AMD fTPM Switch."
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/this-pc-can ... cure-boot/

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Huh. Okay, I found the setting on mine. It's in the Advanced tab.

It's set to Discrete (hardware) but it can be set to Firmware which, as I understand it is a software implementation in BIOS. I think software is TPM 1.2 and hardware is TPM 2.0.

New as my mobo is, I do NOT have a hardware TPM onboard, but I have a header to attach one.

Maybe onboard is more common on Intel boards? Dunno. If a 1 year old design high-end gaming mobo doesn't have it, MS is going to have a hell of a time convincing people to jump on the Win11 bandwagon, unless they provide exceptions, or support TPM 1.2 (which they're already implying they will, in some recent back tracking due to the massive push back).

We should all cool our jets and wait and see. I suspect that the TPM 2.0 mandate, as I originally surmised, is more about forcing all pre-built OEM PCs to come with it installed and enabled by default, so the dumb masses have some extra built-in protection.

I'm not going to worry about it much until 2025, and we'll all know for sure by then. I don't think anyone needs to rush out and buy a TPM module on Ebay anytime soon.

GuardianAsher
Golden Member

Post by GuardianAsher »

"Windows 10 is going to be the last operating system!"

lol guess they lied.

I'm using this as the final straw that pushes me over the edge. I installed Pop!_OS on my laptop a couple of days ago. They just released 21.04.

I have to admit, I've been pretty impressed. Pop!_OS automatically installs nVidia drivers, so you don't have to mess with it. And Steam has Proton now, a built-in version of Wine set up for gaming. Every game I've played so far has run perfectly. Installed KDE Plasma as the environment because I hate Gnome.

And it isn't even a problem of my laptop being supported. 10th gen Intel, software TPM is available. Just tired of the BS.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

ASUS Releases List of Windows 11 Compatible Motherboards

Post by FlyingPenguin »

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1046215/

Looks like my new 570x mobo is supported without adding a module. It says I can just enable firmware TPM.

And no, the Z170 boards are not on the list, Exec.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

GuardianAsher wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:51 pm "Windows 10 is going to be the last operating system!"

lol guess they lied.

I'm using this as the final straw that pushes me over the edge. I installed Pop!_OS on my laptop a couple of days ago. They just released 21.04.

I have to admit, I've been pretty impressed. Pop!_OS automatically installs nVidia drivers, so you don't have to mess with it. And Steam has Proton now, a built-in version of Wine set up for gaming. Every game I've played so far has run perfectly. Installed KDE Plasma as the environment because I hate Gnome.

And it isn't even a problem of my laptop being supported. 10th gen Intel, software TPM is available. Just tired of the BS.
Did you ever try Linux Mint for gaming or just general use? I have that installed on a spare laptop about 2-3 years back. Currently running version 20.1. Never heard of "Pop!_OS". Any links? I'd like to install it in a VM to check out.
GuardianAsher
Golden Member

Post by GuardianAsher »

Executioner wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:22 am Did you ever try Linux Mint for gaming or just general use? I have that installed on a spare laptop about 2-3 years back. Currently running version 20.1. Never heard of "Pop!_OS". Any links? I'd like to install it in a VM to check out.
I've honestly been all over the place in Linux distro land. Mint is definitely one of my favorites, since I love the Cinnamon Desktop Environment. I've also tried Ubuntu, Zorin, MX Linux, plain Debian, and probably a few others I can't remember. We also started running a couple of Linux servers at work and it gave me an excuse to start digging into it more.

I've been preparing for a jump like this for about a year. I started moving to open-source or Linux-compatible applications for my day-to-day programs that I use. Microsoft and Google are both on my poop list so I've been doing things like switching from Chrome to Brave, Gmail to a hosted email service, Aegis instead of Google Authenticator, Bitwarden instead of Dashlane (They removed their desktop app and never really supported Linux). The one thing that had stopped me had been gaming, and I also wasn't looking forward to messing with graphics drivers. On laptops with integrated Intel and dedicated nVidia GPUs, driver support can definitely be flaky because the GPU switching can cause problems. And I hate to say it, I don't even own a desktop anymore. Blasphemy, I know.

Once I found out about Steam Proton, I was pretty much sold. I also learned about Lutris, which is another kind of auto-setup program to make Windows games work in Wine without a whole lot of fuss. It's compatible with Epic Game Store, Uplay, Origin, etc. So I even have that covered too.

Pop!_OS is based on Ubuntu, like Mint. They keep standard Gnome 3, but it's super easy to swap out the environment with something else. It's made by System76 for the Linux compatible hardware that they make.

https://system76.com/

https://pop.system76.com/

https://www.protondb.com/

https://lutris.net/
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Hey thanks for that info. I'll have to check that out and install Pop on a VM to check it out. The only reason I'm still on Windows are for the games. Not anything really new just my assortment of old games. I think the newest would be DOOM2016 and Battlefield 4.