YEAH! Notepad++ now has a Dark Mode

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

YEAH! Notepad++ now has a Dark Mode

Post by FlyingPenguin »

About time. I've gone full-on dark mode on my Windows desktop, and that blinding white NotePad++ window would just kill me.

A little tricky to get to look right. Just enabling Dark Mode alone didn't work on my workstation - the background stayed white. Maybe I had some color override enabled? Although it did work on my game PC. Here's a screenshot with notes on my preferences for settings, including manually changing the foreground/background color if needed:

Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

psypher
Golden Member

Re: YEAH! Notepad++ now has a Dark Mode

Post by psypher »

So I saw various posts about Notepad++ dark mode floating around online, but I didn't get a chance to read up on it. I was seriously confused by it, and even more so when I see a comment like yours, "that blinding white NotePad++ window would just kill me."

For as long as I can remember, 10+ years maybe? that I've been using Notepad++, the very first thing I do when I install it is go to Settings -> Style Configurator and change the theme to Zenburn which uses a dark gray background and Consolas font. About the ONLY thing I can see actually being different with a true dark theme is that the form window\toolbar is dark. Yea that's nice, but not anything I think warrants all these posts I've seen online announcing Notepad++ now supports dark mode lol. So what exactly is the big deal?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well I never even knew there were "themes" so there's that. And yeah, nice to have window and toolbar dark.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:04 pm Well I never even knew there were "themes" so there's that. And yeah, nice to have window and toolbar dark.
Apparently you aren't the only one. I asked one of my developer friends and he never knew there were themes either :)