How to download Windows 11 Insider Preview

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

How to download Windows 11 Insider Preview

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Download direct from Microsoft's servers. Or you can wait until later in the month when Microsoft will release it to the public as a beta.

This is the Insider Preview that doesn't have the TPM restriction.

https://allthings.how/how-to-download-w ... dump-tool/

Going to play with it on a VM, or maybe some actual spare hardware, for fun.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: How to download Windows 11 Insider Preview

Post by FlyingPenguin »

FYI: If you install Pro, you do get an option (under "other sign-in options") to log in as a local user. Not sure if this will appear in the Home version.

It then proceeds to nag you three times that you REALLY should use a Microsoft account, but then it relents.

Taskbar alignment is available in the taskbar settings, without a registry hack like the leaked version, so you can move it to left alignment as God always intended. :)

Sadly, you can't disable taskbar button grouping in Win11. I hope they give us an option for this in the future, or someone finds a hack. I prefer ungrouped icons, with the window name next to them. It's the way I work. I'd probably get used to it but... :(

PSA: You Can’t Disable Taskbar Button Grouping in Windows 11
https://allthings.how/psa-you-cant-disa ... %9F%98%A1/

Open Shell won't work (it installs, but it doesn't replace the Start menu). I would hope the author finds a way to make it work. However, I don't have a major problem with the new Start menu. It' much cleaner than the old one.

Little things are annoying. Mostly related to how I've used Windows for 25 years, so why did they have to change or remove it. Like the Task Manager. You can't bring it up by right clicking on the taskbar. Why? They also seem to have elininated custom Taskbar Toolbars, which is a pity, because I use one for shortcuts for my most commonly used directories. Again, why?
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: How to download Windows 11 Insider Preview

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Looks like the reason Open Shell doesn't work is because the new start menu and taskbar are a complete new process, so Open Shell can't see it. Their github page says they are working on it.

Apparently you can also enable the "classic" start menu (classic, in Windows 10) via a registry hack, and then I guess Open Shell would worr:

Windows 11 lets you enable the classic Windows 10 Start Menu, here's how
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... heres-how/