Someone at Microsoft is a marketing genius...

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Someone at Microsoft is a marketing genius...

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Leo Laporte made this point last week about Windows 11. Somehow, despite all the potential outrage about the Mac-ish looking UI, and the centered taskbar, which would normally have had everyone out in the streets with pitchforks, instead MS has doubled down and made Win11 seem like 'unobtanium' with the TPM requirement, and (initial) short list of supported hardware. The result of this is that said people with pitchforks, instead, are demanding the right to install this new OS that they would otherwise hate, because 'how dare Microsoft prevent me from installing Win11 on my seven year old PC!". I swear, this is just an amazing PR stunt.

So now I've got friends and former business clients,who know nothing about computers, all asking me about TPM, and how to get it/enable it, yada yada, and the OS hasn't even been released. A lot of the non-techie public have also been misled by the hype into thinking that they NEED to be able to install Win11 on their old systems by the end of the year.

People need to chill.

Win10 doesn't end support until 2025.

Win11 is just a GUI refresh with a few interesting new features under the hood (like Direct Storage which may be a must-have someday for gamers, but no time soon).

None of the announced hardware limitations are written in stone.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Someone at Microsoft is a marketing genius...

Post by Executioner »

LOL. It's still 10 under the hood. All win11 is at this point in my opinion is a facelift.