Windows 11 hardware requirements made a mockery of by an Intel Pentium 4 processor

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Windows 11 hardware requirements made a mockery of by an Intel Pentium 4 processor

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Re: Windows 11 hardware requirements made a mockery of by an Intel Pentium 4 processor

Post by Err »

I still haven't went into my Bios and turned on Secure Booting the whatever the Intel TPM setting is. My Update states I7 6700K isn't compatible and I'm fine with that for a year. I have a suspicion that Microsoft is going to drop some of these requirements once their business customers tell them to pound sand when it comes time to buy new licenses.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Windows 11 hardware requirements made a mockery of by an Intel Pentium 4 processor

Post by FlyingPenguin »

7th Gen and earlier (yours is a 6th) Intel CPUs are not officially supported. Some mobos from that era had TPM 1.2 and some don't have any TPM without an add-on.

I too think MS will eventually drop that nonsense. It makes sense to force OEMs building new PCs to be TPM 2.0 compliant, but it benefits MS in NO WAY to create a situation where a large group of people keep running an obsolete OS when Win10 hits end of support in 2025. There's going to be a LOT of enterprise customers that will just keep using Win10 like they kept using Win7, if they don't allow an easy upgrade path.

The fact that they now have a workaround to allow old processors and TPM 1.2 just shows they are beginning to understand this.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay some info for anyone wondering what will (in theory) work with Win11. I had to do some research for a friend of mine who has an old 2013 gaming rig I gave him 3 years ago. Also, Steve Gibson had a bunch of people confirm a few things.

WHAT I KNOW SO FAR:

- Microsoft themselves released a registry hack that allows any processor ("unsupported" processors) along with any mobo that supports TPM 1.2 (and not the stricter TPM 2.0 only found on more modern mobos)

- I can confirm that most decent motherboards - especially gaming mobos - made since at least 2012 support onboard software (BIOS based) TPM 1.2. In the case of my friend, he has a 2012 MSI Z87-G43 mobo with a Core i5 4670 (4th gen) CPU. That mobo does support software TPM 1.2 WITHOUT installing a TPM module. It's enabled in BIOS.

- On Intel Mobos the setting to enable software (BIOS) TPM 1.2 is usually found under Security or Trusted Computing in the BIOS menu, and will be called something like "TPM support".

- On AMD mobos the setting to enable software (BIOS) TPM is usually found under Advanced or Security and is called "AMD fTPM".

- In addition to enabling TPM, you also need to enable UEFI BIOS, if it's not already enabled, and enable Secure Boot. Secure Boot also requires your boot partition to be GPT instead of NTFS. This all CAN be done, but it's tricky. I did it when I cloned my old workstation Win10 install to a new PC because Nvidia 30x video cards require UEFI Bios and Secure Boot to enable ReBar support, which speeds data transfer between the motherboard and the video card. I posted the method I used here: viewtopic.php?p=374963#p374963

- Microsoft is trying to scare us into buying new hardware for Win11 by threatening not to provide security updates to unsupported systems that were upgraded with their registry hack, or any other bypass. I and many other industry people think this is total BS. Microsoft doesn't really want a lot of people running systems that aren't getting security updates, and we think this is just a bluff to scare people.

- To confirm that MS's threat is BS, Steve Gibson has reported this week that he knows of several of his Podcast listeners who upgraded to Win11 using the registry hack for unsupported hardware a few weeks ago when it was announced, and they all did indeed get this last patch Tuesday's security updates for Win11.

No one should be rushing to Win11, but if you want to know if your current rig will run it, use this as guidance. I would wait though. Win11 is buggy. It's missing some Win10 features people are bitching about. And as we get closer to Win10's end of support date on October 2025, I suspect there will be a lot of easy to follow upgrade tips, or even utilities, to easily covert your system to be UEFI Secure Boot that's less painful than the way I did it.

Also, there's a pretty damn good chance that MS will suddenly "discover" that anyone can upgrade to Win11, by then.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

FlyingPenguin wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:55 pm 7th Gen and earlier (yours is a 6th) Intel CPUs are not officially supported. Some mobos from that era had TPM 1.2 and some don't have any TPM without an add-on.

I too think MS will eventually drop that nonsense. It makes sense to force OEMs building new PCs to be TPM 2.0 compliant, but it benefits MS in NO WAY to create a situation where a large group of people keep running an obsolete OS when Win10 hits end of support in 2025. There's going to be a LOT of enterprise customers that will just keep using Win10 like they kept using Win7, if they don't allow an easy upgrade path.

The fact that they now have a workaround to allow old processors and TPM 1.2 just shows they are beginning to understand this.
My mind is in the past, I'm currently running a Intel I7 9700K on a Z390 chipset.

We still have several PC's at work running XP and Windows 7 because the software we use on them is outrageously expensive to upgrade. We would probably also have to buy new equipment so until it finally breaks, we're going to be using outdated OS. However, these computers can't access anything outside of a printer.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

If it wasn't for gaming, I'll be moving to using Linux Mint OS. I already have it installed on a spare laptop. My brother also moved to using Linux Mint, and installed Steam. He plays some games including TF2 which runs on Linux.
I'm just getting tired of all the MS bs. I may decide to do a dual boot with Linux and Windows, using Windows only to play my games until they are supported in Linux.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Unsupported PCs With Windows 11 Are Receiving Updates For Now:

https://www.howtogeek.com/761463/unsupp ... s-for-now/

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Windows 11 Runs on a 15-Year-Old Intel Pentium 4 Chip, and it still receives Windows Update
https://www.pcmag.com/news/no-new-pc-ne ... ium-4-chip