Use DAKboard to turn an old tablet or laptop into a customizable calendar, weather, news, photo frame

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Use DAKboard to turn an old tablet or laptop into a customizable calendar, weather, news, photo frame

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Using this on my old 2015 Surface Pro 3, which is totally useless for almost anything else since it has a dead battery and BIOS will reset if I unplug it.

I just have it sitting on my desk displaying my calendar, the news and weather. It stays plugged into my desktop's UPS so it doesn't lose the BIOS settings.

This is not an app, it's a customizable web page, so any device that has a browser and internet access will work, running any OS. I'm just using their free account and I setup Chrome to run on startup in fullscreen kiosk mode.

If you want to use the calendar feature, you have to give them permission to access your Google calendar, so be aware there is a bit of a security risk there. There's nothing on my calendar I care if anyone sees, and I always just assume anything on my Google calendar is public anyway.

Been using it for a couple of months and I've found it very useful. Nice to have my calendar available at a glance without opening it on the computer, and the weather and news is nice to have. I'd miss it if I turned it off.

https://dakboard.com/site

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "