Allway Sync

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

Allway Sync

Post by Executioner »

Allway Sync has been sold (if anyone is still using it - I am). I guess I'll grab the latest copy from Allway Sync because I doubt I will be upgrading to GoodSync.

The reason we write to you today is to first thank you for choosing Allway Sync and secondly to inform you that GoodSync has acquired Allway Sync.

What is GoodSync?

GoodSync is an easy-to-use tool for automated data backup and synchronization across multiple destinations and platforms, it offers more features, works on all devices, and features its own cloud storage.

Important things to know about this transition:

Installed Allway Sync application will not stop working. However, we do not plan to continue its development.
Existing Allway Sync jobs will be migrated when you install GoodSync on the same computer.
We understand transitions can be hard so we made this one free and easy. Upon migration, you will receive 12 months of GoodSync Personal and 10GB of GoodSync Storage - a $40 value, for FREE.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Allway Sync

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah, not like it needs to be upgraded much for what it does. I bet my installed copy is pretty old. Like you, I'll grab the latest one.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Still running 19.0.5 on my workstation and server, which work fine. Latest is 21.1.5 from Nov 2021. Their website is no longer hosting any version of Allway, or any archived versions.

If anyone has a newer copy LMK.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

OKAY, Majorgeeks still has the 21.1.5 version on their local server: https://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror ... ync,2.html

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Yeah 21.1.5 is the version that I have and using.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Cool. Thanks for the info!
------------------------------------------

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Still using 11.6.1. Will grab newer version just to have.

Thanks.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Version 21.1.5
- Added support for Implicit/Explicit FTP over TLS (FTPS);
- Fixed WebDAV engine;
- Fixed some bugs;
- Updated language files.
11/22/2021

Version 22.0.1
- Allway Sync becomes a part of GoodSync!
12/31/2022

Looks like the author decided to stop development since it was last updated on 11/22/2021 and sold it.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

What are you guys using it for?
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

psypher wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:51 pm What are you guys using it for?
I use it to make an exact copy of my game drive which houses all my games I play including Steam. If my drive was to crap out, I can simply replace it with my backup. Once you make a copy of your folders/files, then the next time you run it, only files that were added or changed are updated. I've been using it for years. Works great.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I use it to sync my files to a flash drive I carry on my keychain whenever I plug it in to the workstation, and I also use it to backup my workstation data files to my file server.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I sync / replicate my data nightly across two NAS units in case one of them craps out.
------------------------------------------

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Use it to keep my juke box backed up to NAS... NAS to old file server... Download folder on laptop and main PC.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I forgot I also use Allway Sync to do a mirror of my server's data drive. Every night it mirrors the primary drive to a secondary. A sort of poor man's RAID mirror.

It's a very flexible file copying utility, that allows you to setup complex conditionals for what you want synced, and whether you want deletions to propagate to the destination.

It can run on a schedule using task scheduler.

For syncing certain encrypted files to the flash drive I always carry with me on my keychain. It has a nice feature that as long as it's running in the background, upon insertion of that particular flash drive, it'll initiate a sync. I've gotten into the habit of plugging that flash drive into my workstation at least a couple of times a week.

I've used it for clients too. I used to have a client (dentist) who had two file servers - one was a backup for emergencies. I used Allway sync to sync the two file server's data partitions every night. In the case of the primary server failing, they could just click an icon on the backup server that would change it's hostname and IP to match the server, and reboot, and it would take over as the server. Worst they would lose would be a partial day's worth of patient data, but it would keep them up and running until I could get there that evening and fix things. Bailed them out of trouble a couple of times.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Another nice feature I've used is that you can setup automated scheduled FTP file sync jobs.

Anyway, out of curiosity I went to GoodSync's site. GoodSync is, not surprisingly, a subscription based software model, instead of a one time license like Allway Sync was. Good luck to them.

They have a free version but it's pretty limited (3 sync jobs and 100 files). That makes it more of a demo than a free version. The free version of Allway was much more generous. It's only limitation I could find in their old website is a limitation of processing 40,000 files in 30 days.

They also sell cloud backup now, which I don't think Allway Sync ever got into. So more cash grab.

I doubt they'll get many of the old customers, because Allway was damn near perfect and bug free. Unless a future version of Windows breaks something. And why pay a subscription for a product you own?

I do wonder, however, if they'll keep the registration servers running. When they announced an existing install of Allway Sync would continue working, I suspect that means an already installed and activated version. Allway requires a unique license matched to your hardware fingerprint, and I'll bet they've killed the registration server, although you can use it as a free version if the limitations don't bother you.

Any of you using Allway may want to backup the Allway registries and config file folders to maintain your activation license in case you need to do a clean OS install.