Tiny11 - a very small, less bloated Win11 install

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Tiny11 - a very small, less bloated Win11 install

Post by FlyingPenguin »

This comes out even smaller than that Atlas OS I posted a month ago, and it's based on the latest Win11 build.

https://www.neowin.net/news/tiny11-is-o ... computers/
Tiny11 is the original Windows 11 version 22H2 stripped down to the very vitals. The mod requires only 8GB on a drive (stock Windows 11 chews more than 20GB), works on systems with 2GB of RAM, and does not need Trusted Platform Module or Secure Boot. You can even upgrade from Windows 10 to Tiny11.

Tiny11 provides just the necessary components, such as accessibility tools, Windows Terminal, Microsoft Store, Calculator, Notepad, and Paint. There is no Microsoft Edge, so you can install the browser you want without the operating system begging you to stay with Edge. Also, Tiny11 works with offline accounts by default, but you can sign in with a Microsoft Account.
Someone even managed to run this on a VM with only 196MB of RAM.
https://www.neowin.net/news/196mb-of-ra ... indows-11/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Tiny11 - a very small, less bloated Win11 install

Post by Executioner »

Does it come with Defender? I could not find an answer in the several links. Also, how long until MS decides to display a big red warning about the modified install?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Tiny11 - a very small, less bloated Win11 install

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I doubt it has Defender. Like AtlasOS, that's, one of the first things they take out. It probably doesn't even have the auto updates service installed.

Like AtlasOS I would consider using this more for kiosks, media centers, or a dedicated PC running some kind of automation, that has to run on old hardware.

I don't think MS can or really wants to do anything about it. This is actually legal under the license. It's a customized PE install.

Like if I was still working for the race tracks, making video replay kiosks, I'd probably use this OS. Those things aren't on the Internet, run on small low power PCs, and only had one job to do: Play a video from a file server.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "