MEMTEST86+ is back and now supports UEFI

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

MEMTEST86+ is back and now supports UEFI

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Support stopped for a while before UEFI support was added, and we were all stuck using the free (but limited) Passmark MEMTEST86 fork (unless you wanted to pay for the premium version).

But it's back, still open source, still free, and it now supports UEFI:

https://memtest.org/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Re: MEMTEST86+ is back and now supports UEFI

Post by Pugsley »

Sweet! Should be able to start using this again on our newer industrial computer controllers.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I had to use this today on an Asus G751JT gaming laptop with 16 gigs of ram installed. I kept getting BSOD at random times. So I removed the 2 sticks that are easily accessible from the bottom, but the other 2 sticks are on the motherboard which requires disassembly. So checking the 8GB of ram on the motherboard was fine and passed. I reseated the 8 GB of ram from the compartment bottom, and it failed right away. I then used a can of air and blow out the 2 ram slots. I reinstalled the ram and now it passes. Weird...because I visually looked at the 2 slots and could not see any damage.

Also, I could not get this version to show the test screen. I got it to work by slowly removing the USB boot stick until the testing screen popped up.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

S0metimes it's just a touch of corrosion on the contacts, and re-seating it a couple of times may have scraped it off. Some good electrical contact cleaner (CRC, not WD40) will help also.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "