Setup a 'Canary' file on your PC to alert you to improper access

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Setup a 'Canary' file on your PC to alert you to improper access

Post by FlyingPenguin »

If you're paranoid about someone getting into your home PC, and especially on a small business PC, the first part of this is a simple way to setup honeypot files and folders, to send you an email alert if someone tries to open it.

The second part is a lot more techie, but more useful. You can setup your PC so opening or copying a specific file or folder will turn off all network devices and shut down the PC.

Might stick a few canary folders on my wife's laptop, since that's the one PC in the house I can't securely lock down.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Setup a 'Canary' file on your PC to alert you to improper access

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Oh, and no account needed, and it's a reputable company. This is run by Thinkst Canary, which makes expensive Canary systems for Enterprise.

https://canarytokens.org/generate
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Good info! Thanks!
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Folder one didn't work for me. I'm guessing my enterprise grade gateway firewall is not letting something through.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I'm going to mess with that this weekend and I'll monitor my Palo Alto to see what tries to get out.
------------------------------------------