Metro 2033 Redux $6.79 on GOG

Post all the great deals here to share with other Ferengi's
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Metro 2033 Redux $6.79 on GOG

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Still one of my all time favorite single player FPS games. I rarely play through a single player game to the end, but this game is like reading a really good novel that you can't put down. I'm on my 3rd playthrough.

If you've never played it, I can highly recommend it. And if you played the original game in 2010, the 2014 Redux version is an incredible remaster that tremendously improves the visuals.

Very immersive story coupled with minor RPG elements. Well worth it for 7 bucks. Heck since I own the Steam version I may buy this just to have a DRM free version.

https://www.gog.com/game/metro_2033_redux
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Metro 2033 Redux $6.79 og GOG

Post by Executioner »

Good deal. I bought it, but it wants me to install GOG Galaxy which I don't want.

Update: Looks like I can download the off-line installer instead.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Metro 2033 Redux $6.79 on GOG

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah, GOG still offers offline installers. I don't want that GOG Galaxy crap either.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Well I can't get the game to start. I get nothing - 1 second black screen, then just a prompt asking me if I want to start in safe mode. If I select Yes, it goes right back to the desktop. Doing a google search, it's a common problem with this game. I've tried a lot of the suggestions and nothing seems to work.

Error Message:
Previous launch was unsuccessful. Would you like to start in Safe Mode?

I get what looks like a black window for about 1 second, then back to the desktop. I did update directx drivers. Currently says my version is 11. I have a Geforce GTX 1060 6GB card.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hmm. Never had that issue, but I play the Steam version.

Did you try this fix?
https://steamcommunity.com/app/286690/d ... 730365646/

Ironically it's even cheaper on Steam, and I know my Steam version works. You could always ask for a refund.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2866 ... 033_Redux/

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Yeah I picked it up on Steam, but I had to start it in safe mode. Played about 20 minutes. Still underground.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

It starts slow and scripted until you're an adult and out on your old, then it gets VERY interesting.

I hope you chose the gameplay option with more ammo. Ammo is seriously scarce in the original hardcore survival mode.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Yep, that was the one I selected - sparrow - with more ammo.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The original game was hardcore survival only. I finished it but it was a bitch. You REALLY have to count every bullet.

Metro Last Light had a more casual mode with more ammo that made it a lot more fun. When they re-released Metro 2033 Redux they added the option for the easier mode which made a lot of people happy. I've played it twice that way and much prefer it.