$999 for an Asus ROG R7 desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD

Post all the great deals here to share with other Ferengi's
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

$999 for an Asus ROG R7 desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD

Post by FlyingPenguin »

FYI a decent deal for a prebuilt is this Asus ROG R7. It's available from Walmart. According to a long thread on reddit it may show as backordered for a day and then become available again. Available right now when I checked. I have also seen them physically at my local Walmart (display model anyway) for same price. $999 for an Asus ROG R7 desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD, Win10 Home. Unlike a Dell or HP it'll be stock parts and an Asus branded GPU. At todays prices, that's not a bad deal just to get a hold of a card. The system is decent enough as well, but you can always sell it and put the card in something else. It's a 5700G so it has onboard video as well.

Walmart link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/ASUS-ROG-R7- ... /797509896

Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/ ... d_ryzen_7/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: $999 for an Asus ROG R7 desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD

Post by FlyingPenguin »

FYI that Asus system I posted is showing up now as $1300 system from a reseller. The one I saw earlier was direct from Walmart. Reddit guys say to keep checking back. If the Walmart one not available at that moment, their site redirects you to a reseller.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: $999 for an Asus ROG R7 desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Some followup: I've got one friend that has one on order. He had to try hitting that page a few times before the $999 system direct from Walmart showed up.

Been reading some other posts and some of the Wally World reviews. PC should come with two side panels: a transparent acrylic one, and a vented metal one. I'd recommend the vented panel as the front of the case has virtually no inflow unless you mod it. The Mobo is a standard ATX so it could be put in any case, and will use any standard ATX PSU. The PSU that comes with it is nothing to write home about. The PSU is 500 watts and nothing special. Better quality than an OEM Dell or HP, but nothing fancy, and as I said a stock ATX so can be replaced.

CPU is a good OEM Ryzen 7 5700G 8 core/16 thread 3.8GHz (4.6GHz boost) that is rapidly becoming a very popular CPU on OEM systems because it actually has the fastest onboard graphics of any CPU right now - yeah you could game on it, with limitations. Which also means that if you just want the RTX 3060, it has decent onboard video if you want to sell the PC or give it away.

Motherboard is a nothing fancy B500 chipset mATX with 4 RAM slots, a x16 and two x1 PCIe slots, but the x1 slots are covered by the GPU and unusable. It may only come with one stick of memory unless you get lucky, and by all reports the RAM will be clocked properly at 3200 MHz. Realistically, running single channel with one stick will make zero difference in games, but RAM is cheap, and you can always put a pair of something in later if you want. CPU cooler is nothing special - about the same as a stock AMD cooler, which is fine assuming it gets enough air (thus I recommend the vented side panel). The mobo uses a stock AMD cooler mount so any cooler will fit on there if you want to upgrade it later.

The GPU is a blower type single fan RTX 3060 V2 LHR Phoenix 12GB. It will tend to be noisier than the double or triple fan designs, but it works (heck my old GTX 1080 was a founders edition with a blower). Again vented side panel recommended to let the GPU breath. GPU has an 8 pin power connector, so it's proper 3060 and not some power limited one. Keyboard and mouse look like cheap e-waste crap.

SSD is usually a WD SN530 Blue which is okay. Because it's a 256GB it won't be as fast as the 512 or 1TB versions (all SSDs are slower in smaller size versions). Specs are around 2000 MB/s read, 1000 MB/s write which is behind most decent PCIe 3.0 M.2 SSDs (which are generally around 3000/3000 MB/s), but a lot faster than a SATA SSD. Also can be easily replaced in the future. Be aware that the CPU does not support PCIe 4.0 (motherboard chipset technically does, but who knows if it's enabled) so don't ever waste the money on a super fast, super expensive PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD for this thing. It will work, but will be limited to PCIe 3.0 speeds (max 3500 MB/s).

As long as you know what you're getting, it's okay if you need a system anyway, considering a 3060 by itself will set you back $550 or more, even before the Newegg bundle tax, and assuming you can find it.

Video unboxing here that shows the internals: