Duron or Thunderbird

Discussions and help regarding overclocking, motherboards, peripherals, AMD and INTEL CPU's
GreenTurtle

Post by GreenTurtle »

Keep my PIII 800?
Sale and get a Duron and abit board?
Sale and get a Thunderbird and abit board?

Seems like the Durons are overclocking better than the Thunderbirds.

Asus or Abit mb? Raid or No-raid and is there any difference besides the Raid? Already got my Promise mods so I'm sticking to those.
sbp

what i'm doing...

Post by sbp »

I have a PIII600e@800 on Asus's CUSL2 motherboard. I don't plan to build a DDR chipset Thunderbird system until the middle of next year.
Reg Kmet
Golden Member

Post by Reg Kmet »

basterb's goin with an asus board and a 900 mhz tbird, i'll let ya know how things go for em. he figures a duron will OC better, but the t bird will perform better
Frost
Golden Member

Post by Frost »

The Duron has a better oc %, but overall I think if you get a thunderbird @900mhz+ and over clock it then it will beat any duron.

Frost.
Basterb

Post by Basterb »

i'd go with the A7V. it has all teh capisters away from the cpu so a large fan and heat sync is easy. Apparently i was told at computer avenue that the abit mobo's don't like dimoand maxtor drives. Duron are easier to overclock since the defult woltage is 1.5 and the board will go to 1.85. the thunderbird defult is 1.75. It is not adviasble to push a duron past 1000 since you will see almost no difffernece in any benchmark form 1000 to 1100. It just isn't in the chip articeture. Therefor since my student loan is comming in shortly i am going for the thunberbird
Reg Kmet
Golden Member

Post by Reg Kmet »

basterb, the successor to nexus 7 :)
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

The durons % of overclocking better is not true. the percentage is statistically insignificant. The durons also do NOT scale as well at the higher frequencies. The smaller amount of cache cannot keep up with the rest of the system so at the high end freq. the tbird picks up more %points of performance increase over the duron.

However that oced duron is still a better value than a p3 or even a tbird for most people's use.
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

You can also raise the voltage of a A7v past the 1.85 volts if you solder on the regulator board.

The reason a tbirds voltage is higher is the the extra cache. The core is the same.
GreenTurtle

re

Post by GreenTurtle »

Hmmm..
Duron or Thunderbird.
The 1gig Thunderbirds are so cheap now might as well get those.

oh nevermind, guess I'll go with the K7V thanks :)
The abit boards has all the problem with the orb coolers right?

[Edited by GreenTurtle on 11-24-2000 at 04:51 PM]
sbp

Post by sbp »

I'm sure Greenturtle meant Asus's A7V not K7V. K7V is for slot a athlons. http://www.asus.com.tw/products/Motherboard/slota.html
GreenTurtle

yeah , the A7V

Post by GreenTurtle »

$130 +shipping for the mb, but $250 for the Thunderbird makes it all worth it. Heck, the one gig PIII cost more by itself. Can't wait for the dual processor version to come out. Can you imagine how fast the DVD rip will go with dual 1.5g
GreenTurtle

Post by GreenTurtle »

Oh my gosh!
20+ hours to encode Armageddon at using the floating point precision instead of mmx at 29.95fps. AMD! where's the dual processor we've been promised?
Mikendi

Post by Mikendi »

I just got my 750 socketA T-bird back from Saturn - it's now rock stabile @ 950 on a board with no multiplier adjustments (GA-7ZX) This guy knows his stuff!!! :)

Hey Reg - I thought the same thing - talk about
"double your fun!?!?!?!?!" - LMAO
"So much to learn - where to start"
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

pick up one of those ~$60 duron 700s while you're at it too, they run at a gig and if you blow it up.....
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
Mikendi

Post by Mikendi »

Yeah . . . at that price they do seem disposable don't they. I mean $60 and a pencil . . . :)
"So much to learn - where to start"