Want to remove Windows Messenger from XP?

Post your best Windows Tips, Shortcuts, Important add-ons, etc
MegaVectra

Want to remove Windows Messenger from XP?

Post by MegaVectra »

Click Start - Run

Type the following line (just copy and paste):

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Will remove the windows messenger from XP.

Outlook Express should open much faster.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Nice one! I've seen lots of different MSN Messenger removal techniques, but they all involved multiple steps and seemed awkward/risky.

I tried your method on a couple of test systems here. VERY nice, it's GONE :)

Damn crap is like a virus.

I'll save that one in my bag of tricks for my clients. I usually just disable MSN from running in the background.

Thanks!
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

PreDatoR
Life Member

Post by PreDatoR »

nice one... definately gonna save this puppy i hate msn and oh does outlook express opens so much faster now :)
Invisible Evil

Post by Invisible Evil »

http://www.theeldergeek.com

never had a problem taking something out I couldnt find there.
MegaVectra

Post by MegaVectra »

Good link. Thanks!
Sean

Post by Sean »

OE opens A LOT faster now. :D Thanks!
- Sean
VidmanII

Post by VidmanII »

sweet. thanx
AMD Ph II X4 955 BE 3.2 @ 3.8 GHz | Scythe SCSMZ-2000 | ASRock 880GMH/USB3 | 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 | Radeon HD5670 | Kingston 128GB SSD
VidmanII

Post by VidmanII »

bump for a great tip
AMD Ph II X4 955 BE 3.2 @ 3.8 GHz | Scythe SCSMZ-2000 | ASRock 880GMH/USB3 | 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 | Radeon HD5670 | Kingston 128GB SSD
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

When I paste that into the run box it starts to do something then says Error cant unregister the OCX blah blah blah then it acts as though it completed normally (little dos window shows up for about a sec or two then disappears)
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Reminds me, anyone know of a SURE and EASY way to completely remove Outlook and its variants?
MegaVectra

Post by MegaVectra »

Originally posted by Nomad
When I paste that into the run box it starts to do something then says Error cant unregister the OCX blah blah blah then it acts as though it completed normally (little dos window shows up for about a sec or two then disappears)

Probably because the OCX blah blah blah is currently being used, just click ok.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

OMG! I thought i had it removed but i ran that any way and dear god does OE open fast! Thanks a bunch.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
ShibasScotch

Post by ShibasScotch »

yea, this is a great old tip. OE and Outlook both are by default i think, intergrated with MSN messenger. You can stop this withour removing messenger, by going to the options, and unchecking the messenger checkbox somewhere in them. (not in front of my home pc with oe atm)

The only problem with doing it this way, is that OCX blah blah blah. A few other things use it, and you may see that error a few times. nothing to worry about. also, if you create any new user accounts on the pc that you ran that command on, they will popup the error unregistering ocx blah blah the first time you log into them as well. Other than that, yes, this is the best way to kill it. For the ast year or so, I have a batch file that I made with this command, and anytime i load up a computer at work, I just click that little batch, and "register you .net passport now!" doesnt even know what hit it :P
Stupid people do stupid things, smart people outsmart each other, then themselves.
Slugbait
Golden Member

Post by Slugbait »

Please note: this hack does NOT remove MSN Messenger. It removes Windows Messenger. MSN Messenger can be easily uninstalled from Add/Remove Programs.

As FP alluded, Windows Messenger can run in the background as a process. Meaning, there is no UI, and it can log you on without you being visibly aware that you are logging on. This was a bug introduced in later builds of v4.7, and still exists in v5.0.

In addition, some features common to both clients will no longer work in MSN Messenger if Windows Messenger has been hacked off your XP machine.

There is a difference between the two clients. Referring to Windows Messenger as MSN Messenger is a mistake.
The_Frapster
Golden Member

Post by The_Frapster »

I actually use Microsfot messenger, but I would like to be able to load and unload it at will, does this enable you to do that? I would hate to do this and find out it's been erased as I use it for spam mail and stuff.
Run fer your lives!!! The_Frapster's Coming!!!

<a title="Click here to view my Heatware Profile" href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=28300">
[ HEATWARE.com ]</a>
<a title="Click here to view My E-bay Profile" href="http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=the_frapster&ssPageName=STRK:ME:UFS">
[ eBay.com ]</a></p>