New Monitor?

Discussions and help regarding overclocking, motherboards, peripherals, AMD and INTEL CPU's
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

New Monitor?

Post by Genom »

So it's been a few years sicne I got a new monitor, and I am feeling the bug. I have a GTX970 so a 4K display isnt really ideal (mostly game on this machine, although I do work from home some), plus I dont want to deal with the scaling issues a lot of apps seem to have under 4K. I've been very tempted by the 34" ultrawide screens. I am mainly going between the Dell U3415W and the LG 34UM95-P. The curve screen has a bit of a premium on the Dell, but it also has a much better stand that has height adjustment.

Anybody use one of these have an opinion? Locally purchased I pay about an extra 130 bucks for the Dell, but Microcenter has the LG aggressively priced. Mail ordered after price shopping they are about the same.

Just wondering if the curve is worth the wait of mail ordering it when I can have instant gratification otherwise.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Can't say anything about the curve, but if you're a serious gamer, you should consider a GSync monitor. I have the first gen Asus ROG Swift Gsync monitor and I love it. No input lag or jaggies, and game visuals are silky smooth since the monitor refresh matches the game's framerate up to 144hz.

Even on the Windows desktop, it's REAL nice have the 144hz refresh - you'll never see mouse blur.

I could never go back to gaming on a non GSync monitor.

This is what I have, but it's a TN display (albeit a very good one) but there's IPS versions now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824236405

Long thread on our BBS here about it including my review of it when mine arrived:
https://www.pcabusers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56350
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

To be honest I am not that interested in Gsync-freesync stuff. I dont play FPS games much at all. Mostly WoW, KSP, anything that catches my fancy for a bit. I've lived with 60Hz long enough that when I saw a gsync display it didnt blow me away.

Oh and I dont see the IPS out yet on that monitor.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Hmmm... Microcenter has them in stock. May grab one to try out. If I dont like it can always return it.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I've been looking around as well. Currently have at 24" Dell IPS which is good, but would like more real estate, esp. for gaming. I have a 970 as well. Don't really want to go dual for gaming, b/c of the frame in the middle, and no hi-res b/c 1080 is about all my eyes can handle. Seems like all the 27" + monitors are real expensive - like the ROG - or problematic due to quality control issues. I have no place local and I'm not really interested in having to box something back up etc., if it's funky or I don't like it.

Was also thinking but a DK2 - but not sure whether or not motion sickness would be an issue. Looking at the some of the oculus forums, looks like you may need a 980TI or better to push the resolution on the final release unless there's a DX12 or Gsynch type fix.
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Welp, grabbed both a LG ultrawide and the Asus. Long and short of it, the ultrawide formfactor is really cool, but not for me. It's actually too wide for me. Color looks great, screen tearing is very noticeable on such a large display.

Asus has all the pros everybody likes about it, and size is quite good. Color saturation is definitely a weak point on this screen. I am going to keep it plugged in for a week and see if it grows on me, but most likely I will return it and wait for the IPS panel. I see that Acer has the IPS version out, but no local store has it in stock to try out, and I have read a lot of complaints about it online regarding panel quality and lightbleed.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

wvjohn: Plenty of good quality reasonably priced 27" displays, if you don't care about GSync. But GSync does add a premium to the price tag.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... isNodeId=1

Genom: Yeah, the Acer IPS GSync is the one everyone likes now, except for complaints about the glossy bezel.
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Displays/A ... tor-Review

I still like my ROG Swift, and the price is now down to a reasonable $670 (I paid $850 for mine as a first adopter).

Yeah, it's not as bright as an IPS (although since I game in a dark room, I actually have it cranked down quite substantially) and it's a bit washed out compared to an IPS, but I'm used to TN panels (still rocking a pair of 6 year old high-end Dell Ultra sharps on my main workstation) and the Swift is a darn nice looking TN panel.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Brightness is no problem with the display for me. It's mainly color that I feel is lackluster.
wvjohn

What do you guys think about this one?

Post by wvjohn »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... lsrc=aw.ds

it's a 2014 model, which got a decent review at Toms, being replaced by an real IPS now. Price went from about 1000/800 to 549 now.

According to what I read, the extra size @ 2k gives you the same dpi as a 24 inch at 1080.

I've looked at the 27" stuff, and even on the lower end, the QC just looks awful. With the Asus and Acer high end, looks like it take a couple of exchanges to get a good one unless your're lucky the first time. I have no place local - except a Best Buy about 25 miles away. If I'm spendiing some money I don't want a lot of aggravation.

The QC reviews on the BenQ are much better.

I really don't play any FPS (and my internet isn't consistent enough anyway)
so gonzo fast isn't really an issue.

Not sure if my 970 can push it (cpu is I7 @4.4/16 GB) without GSynch. I could always "borrow" the 970 in my wife's rig, and swap in my old 7950, and run SLI - but SLI seems problematic for all the usual reason. A couple of threads I saw seemed to think that at 2K the 970 was having to use some of its "special" .5 GB of memory and that was slowing it down.

all thoughts welocme!
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

wvjohn wrote:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... lsrc=aw.ds

it's a 2014 model, which got a decent review at Toms, being replaced by an real IPS now. Price went from about 1000/800 to 549 now.

According to what I read, the extra size @ 2k gives you the same dpi as a 24 inch at 1080.

I've looked at the 27" stuff, and even on the lower end, the QC just looks awful. With the Asus and Acer high end, looks like it take a couple of exchanges to get a good one unless your're lucky the first time. I have no place local - except a Best Buy about 25 miles away. If I'm spendiing some money I don't want a lot of aggravation.

The QC reviews on the BenQ are much better.

I really don't play any FPS (and my internet isn't consistent enough anyway)
so gonzo fast isn't really an issue.

Not sure if my 970 can push it (cpu is I7 @4.4/16 GB) without GSynch. I could always "borrow" the 970 in my wife's rig, and swap in my old 7950, and run SLI - but SLI seems problematic for all the usual reason. A couple of threads I saw seemed to think that at 2K the 970 was having to use some of its "special" .5 GB of memory and that was slowing it down.

all thoughts welocme!
Tom's gave it a good review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/benq-bl3200pt-qhd-monitor,3898.html

A 970 should be fine for most applications and games. Although you may have to turn down the draw distance or detail in some games to get a constant FPS in some games.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

That's a big-ass monitor.

Your 970 won't have a problem with that resolution ( 2560 x 1440 ). I'm running that resolution on my GSync monitor and my old GTX 760 could manage it, and the current 980 laughs at it. The 970 will do fine.

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Thats the res I run my 970 in and while I dont do FPS's much, everything else I run is smooth.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

970 shouldn't even break a sweat. I have that and it runs great.
------------------------------------------

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

Amazon or Egg?
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Personally I have had better feedback/results when doing exchange/support with Amazon than Newegg.