Tesla Model 3 Instrumentation - a 15" touchscreen

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
wvjohn

Tesla Model 3 Instrumentation - a 15" touchscreen

Post by wvjohn »

not sure about this myself. but what could possibly go wrong?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/29/1606 ... een-photos
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Tesla Model 3 Instrumentation - a 15" touchscreen

Post by FlyingPenguin »

No heads up display for the speedo? I'm not sure how they even got approval from the fed for that. The speedo is on the left side of the screen forcing you to look down AND slightly to the right to check your speed. That's nuts.

A closer look at Tesla Model 3's spartan interior
https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/29/1606 ... or-display
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

and I'm sure there will be a lively resale market for those screens...once they start disappearing. BTW, where is it you go to get the new screen installed? Or get something fixed?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I have a Tesla dealer/service center in Orlando which is about an hour drive from here. That's one of the things I looked into when I was toying with the idea of buying a Tesla: how close is the dealer.

If you check Tesla's website you'll find service centers all over in major cities. There's 5 in Florida:

https://www.tesla.com/findus/list/servi ... d%20States
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

There are a couple of service centers in DC burbs - a 2 hr drive from here off rush hour. Not that it matters for me anyway. Tesla autopilot or whatever it's called would be useless on most of the roads around here anyway. Once you get off the interstates, GPS gets very marginal because of poor map overage. If you punch in my addy in a regular car gps, you end up along the railroad tracks about 4 miles away. Which is fine with me.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I really hate that interior. Touch screen anything in a car is annoying to me. I also didn't see a rear view mirror. I assume that it's also on the touch screen. Again this forces the driver to look down. Not having the touch screen flush is also a big problem. It will get broken off at some point.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I don't have a problem with the touch screen in the Model S (a huge 17" display), but it's not your primary display. There is another display for the instrument cluster. Both have independent processors (Tegras) running them. I know because a friend of mine has one, and if something locks them up (a rarity) or you customize them and then want them back on default, you can reset them independently.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I'm just not feeling the Model 3 at all. I don't like it's looks.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Agreed.

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

What could possibly go wrong....

The car doesn't have a key, or a key fob. Instead it syncs to your phone through a bluetooth connection and will automatically unlock as you approach. The backup in case your phone dies or you need to hand it off to a valet is a thin key card that you can keep in your wallet. Swipe it on the car's B pillar to unlock it, and place it on the center console to turn the car on.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... everything
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I hate to keep picking this car apart but they should've made it front wheel drive. I get that they want to compete with BMW and Mercedes 3 series but FWD would be better in my opinion. Rather than compete with German car manufactures, Tesla need to compete with Ford, Chevy, Toyota, and Honda for the Mid-Side car segment. I also think Tesla shouldn't have made it connect to your phone. As wvjohn stated, "what could possible go wrong. . ."
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

I would pay a couple hundred more to make that screen not look like a computer monitor on a visa mount. It wouldn't have taken much to make it look a little more integrated with the car.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I gotta wonder how it's mounted. I'm sure it had to pass federal regs, but it looks like that would turn into a Frisbee in a crash.

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

Remember the days when people put "no radio in car" on their windshields? That touch screen looks like it might be leaving through the passenger window....
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Some really good photos in this article, and an interesting perspective.

I have to admit, as Tesla's designer states, it IS a rather artistic minimalism. If you want to drive a car (you can afford) that REALLY looks like something out of a futuristic Sci-Fi movie, it's got that.

I wonder how noisy that roof is when it's raining?

BTW, in the side shot below you can see there's a pretty beefy looking pylon attaching the display to the dash.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-mo ... ain-2017-8