last win update - if there was one yesterday - was a doozy

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
wvjohn

last win update - if there was one yesterday - was a doozy

Post by wvjohn »

for me. What a PIA

Endless logon loop, finally was able to do a restore, then a repair, but then Chrome was disabled, couldn't download with Firefox ?? had to use Opera . got Chrome working now but who knows what else is fubared.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: last win update - if there was one yesterday - was a doozy

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yesterday WAS patch tuesday. Is it Win10? Google for hacks to block updates so you can do them weeks later. It's easier in pro (you use the group policy editor) but there's a few hacks for Home as well

All my PCs notify only and don't auto update. I wait a few weeks to let the guinea pigs try it first.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

wvjohn

Re: last win update - if there was one yesterday - was a doozy

Post by wvjohn »

I need to do that. Finally got it fixed, but lotsa hours. Did the first system restore, then that crashed, same loop on reboot. Didn't have win10 media since it was an accesibility upgrade :), downloaded win10 installer to usb, etc, tried to boot from that >if you want to keep your existing stuff, you have to install from running OS> wtf? anyway finally managed to get it into safe mode, stuck in usb and finally got it to work using explorer to navigate down to files on usb and >setup. What a pain , and wasterd most of a day. At one point I pulled out an old drive with win7 on it, but it wouldn't boot. Extra aggro today was the main game I play with my wife GW2 just had some cool additions and next weekend is a preview of new expansion.