Firefox Quantum: Developer Edition

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

Re: Firefox Quantum: Developer Edition

Post by Executioner »

OK I did a reset, but the delay is still there. I think the issue may be with the DNS server? Every time I click on a link, I get:
Looking up xxxxxx.com
I then get a performing TLS handshake
The first part can take between 5 and 10 seconds to complete.
I thought the DNS was a local cache that is saved.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

If you have a slow DNS server, it will cause delays. While there's some local caching, modern pages have hundreds of assets, scripts and ads they have to fetch from different sites, so you really feel DNS lag.

In THEORY your ISP's DNS SHOULD be faster than any other because it's closer to you (usually) but in actuality, ISPs often poorly manage their DNS servers.

Test your DNS server against others:
https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

You may have to manually enter these, but these are some of the fastest:
Google: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4
Quad 9: 9.9.9.9
OpenDNS (which I use): 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

These also use blacklists to protect you from known dangerous sites and scripts.

Also, could be your router. By default the router wants to be a local DNS relay but some routers are really bad at this. I prefer to manually specify the DNS server I want to use in the computer's LAN card settings, so the PC directly fetches it from the DNS server, bypassing the router. Be aware some routers have a 'force DNS' setting that intercepts any DNS requests even if you set it ip manually. May have to turn it off,

You can use this to see what your actual DNS server is:
http://entropy.dns-oarc.net/test/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Using your last link, everything was rated as GREAT. As for manually entering in a DNS address, is that done in the HOST file?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Using Windows 7, but that did the trick! It's almost instant when I click on my bookmarks. Thanks Bob for the help.