Infamous Atari Player Disqualified From World Record After 35 Years

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
Err
Life Member

Infamous Atari Player Disqualified From World Record After 35 Years

Post by Err »

https://kotaku.com/infamous-atari-playe ... 1822511777

I honestly don't care one way or another but I grew up with the Atati 2600. My dad brought one home in 1980 or 81 (my memory isn't that good, I was either 5 or 6). We played the crap out of Dragster. I think the best we ever got was in the 5.9X's. You could make the 2600 do strange things by flicking the power on and off real fast. I used to screw with it and corrupt the graphics. I bet someone much more knowledgeable than a 6 year old could play with the pins to make the system give false scores.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Infamous Atari Player Disqualified From World Record After 35 Years

Post by Losbot »

LMAO
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

This reminds me of the movie 'King of Kong' where a guy tries to beat the world record in Donkey Kong and is continually slapped down by Twin Galaxies. Though they claim to be a legit organization, they're really just a clique that never grew up. Yet they are the judges of who holds world records in video games.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Yeah I remember watching that. The record holder seems like a douche talking about live play and then the guy trying to set the record is like right in his town and he still wouldn't play a game with him. And on top of that the douche submits a tape and it's instantly accepted as valid where as the other guy they sent goons to his house and because they found a box with some other guys name on it that they didn't like they said he cheated and never said how.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Funny you mentioned Billy Mitchell (King of Dong)

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/02/ ... re-claims/
Former Donkey Kong world record holder Wes Copeland has presented new statistical evidence that he says suggests Mitchell's 1.05 million point game was patched together from multiple emulated plays. Drawing data from the KongTrackr analysis app, Copeland says Mitchell's run derives a significantly higher-than-average ratio of points from smashing enemies with the hammer.

Since the points derived from those enemy smashes are assigned semi-randomly (as detailed here), Copeland says such a statistically divergent performance "is evidence of splicing. Billy replayed the boards over and over until he got the right smash RNG [random number generation] to lock in his pace." Copeland adds that it's "extremely unlikely" such a performance could happen due to pure chance in a single run. While this statistical evidence is still a bit circumstantial, it certainly takes on added weight when combined with the evidence of MAME play presented below.

Amid all this unfolding drama, Robbie Lakeman managed to beat his own Donkey Kong world record in a livestreamed performance on Friday. Lakeman surpassed a December mark of 1,230,100 by scoring 1,247,700 points.