READY PLAYER ONE - Official Trailer 1 [HD]

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: READY PLAYER ONE - Official Trailer 1 [HD]

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm going to go in and pretend I never read the book and try to give it a fair chance.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Watched it. Was not the horrible mess I thought it would be. Has some satisfying moments, but they rush the book based parts of the story too fast, and they spend to much time on the movie changed stuff, that was frankly just not interesting enough to compensate.

Wont spoil anything by giving details. Suffice to say I dont regret watching it, but it could have been much more. Biggest issue is Sorrento is more of a caricature of a bad guy.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I watched it today with my son. I never read the book, but I found the movie very entertaining, and the CGI was amazing. Then all the references to pop culture of the 1980's. My son was telling me that there are over 100 of them, but I must have caught maybe 2 dozen or less. Funny to see the Delorean and Chucky just to name a few. I may go see it again to catch what I may have missed.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm going to try to see it today and pretend I never read the book. I find it encouraging that the author was intimately involved in the screenplay.

Think I'm going to see it without the wife, as I will probably watch it several times with her later to catch all the references.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:I'm going to try to see it today and pretend I never read the book. I find it encouraging that the author was intimately involved in the screenplay.

Think I'm going to see it without the wife, as I will probably watch it several times with her later to catch all the references.
Just keep in mind that some things that are fine in books, just wouldn't be that exciting on a movie screen (Joust), especially for people that have never read the book. So just go in with the idea that the author was involved and this was just a different variation of his story that fits better as a movie. Having read the book, I enjoyed it a lot and so did my wife and son who hadn't read the book.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Enjoyed the movie. I think it's really the best they could do with it without doing a mini-series. There's only so much you can cram into 2 hrs 15 min.

I agree with Genom that Sorrento's character was rather weak. More of a comedic bad guy, where in the novel he was a serious badass. I guess they felt it gave the movie some comic relief, but I would have preferred a more evil Sorrento.

Any of you who love the movie should really read the book sometime. It's really good. BTW: Wil Wheaton reads the Audible version, and he's fantastic.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I'll 2nd that. I've read the book twice and enjoyed it.

I'm waiting to receive another that I was told about called "Thrice Upon a Time" by James P. Hogan.
"It's amazing enough when Murdoch Ross's brilliant grandfather invents a machine that can send messages to itself in the past or the future. But when signals begin to arrive without being sent, Murdoch realizes that every action he takes changes the future that would have been...and that the world he lives in has already been altered!

Then a new message arrives from the future:

The world is doomed!"
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I used to be a big fan of James P. Hogan. Have to check it out.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Now that I'm home and can look them up, here's some other great James P. Hogan books.

The Giant's Star series. There's five of them I think. The first two available on Kindle for $6.99 (I just bought it because I haven't read them in 30 years):
https://www.amazon.com/Two-Moons-Giants ... B00AP9D7DS

The Proteus Operation:
https://www.amazon.com/Proteus-Operatio ... 0671877577

The Two Faces of Tomorrow (can't find it on Amazon)

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Finally saw it. Fortunately, it's been a few years since I read the book, so I was able to overlook a lot more than I normally would. I definitely felt where they skimmed parts, but I still felt that they were true to the story in the confines of a movie.