2nd Gen Ryzen Kicks Much Ass

All things AMD. The best motherboards, COOLING setup, overclocking, how to, etc..
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

2nd Gen Ryzen Kicks Much Ass

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Nice to see AMD back in the running. Much as I'm a die-hard Intel guy (because I worry about compatibility and Intel is in bed with Microsoft) I think I'd go Ryzen right now if I was building a new rig.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12625/am ... 2600x-2600
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

wvjohn

Re: 2nd Gen Ryzen Kicks Much Ass

Post by wvjohn »

My next build may be one of those. Reviews have been pretty good, and there will be more optimizations.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

That Ryzen 5 2600X for $229 would be a killer deal. The bundled Spire Cooler is also very good from what I've heard.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I have to say that if I was building a workstation now (mine is only a year and a half old) I'd go Ryzen with 8 cores multi-threaded. I do a lot of video trans-coding with my workstation.

And I have never owned an AMD processor before, but yeah, I think they're that good now.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I've owned them when they were more hype than not, but I built my NAS on a cheapo 1600 processor and it's been great. When I feel the bug bite hard enough I'll replace my current i7-5820 with some sort of Ryzen build, if only because I multitask a ton on my main system. Although I dont forsee this CPU getting slow on my for a few years :/
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I'm running a 3900x currently. Sadly, I only push it while using Photoshop. But that said, it is snappy. Just be aware that you need a $200 board that can properly support these things (even if a cheapie says they can, they probably can't).
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I've started learning Blender and am starting to feel the machine getting pokey. To be fair, it is 5'ish years old now. Was looking at a 3950X build, but with the 4000 series so close (in theory) I just gotta bite the bullet and hold off a bit. But knowing me I'll probably order parts if BTC goes over $9500
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

I helped my son build his first computer from scratch with a Ryzen 9 3900X with a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master and that thing is nasty fast. Been running for about a month, no issues.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Still debating building out a new 3900xt or wait for the next gen stuff. Decisions decisions
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Genom, can you post which mobo you used? RAM and NVME too if you have it handy. I'm looking at a similar upgrade later this year, and it'd be nice to have a hardware list that someone else has already found to be stable.

Thx!

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Not to be off topic... but this thread for as short as it is has a ton of views on it.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Psypher is the one that already built one out. I am pretending I am not gonna pull the trigger, but probably will on a 3900xt with a 2080 super. This is the MB I am looking at: https://www.newegg.com/msi-meg-x570-uni ... 6813144273
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Genom, can you post which mobo you used? RAM and NVME too if you have it handy. I'm looking at a similar upgrade later this year, and it'd be nice to have a hardware list that someone else has already found to be stable.

Thx!
Here's the complete build I did for my son.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card (From his old computer)
Corsair HX850i (From his old computer)

The motherboard was a pain in the ass to get. Sold out everywhere, so just had to sit and wait for it. Finally my local Microcenter received like 4-5 of them which lets me buy it online for pickup. By the time I picked it up, all the other ones were sold.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Oops. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks Psypher! I'll put that in my notes.

Did you have to tweak the timing for the GSkill RAM or use the stock settings?

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I'm running a 3900X as well at work, though oddly I don't recall my motherboard because it was about a year ago that I did the build. Mine was a Gigabyte x570 of some flavor. It was horribly unstable (along with two other boards I tried initially) until a new BIOS update came out. But I got the processor the month is was released, so the motherboard were playing catch-up. In fact, I do't really remember enough of my system to tell. I'll try to take note when I get back to work. Anyhow, it's been solid for almost a year. And disabling the Spectre & Meltdown mitigations made a notable difference on intensive tasks.