VR opinions

Discuss Virtual Reality (and I'm not talking about that episode with the bottle of Tequila you drank last night)
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

VR opinions

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ok, so tempted to dabble in VR.

Considering two different systems. Something for casual gaming like the Oculus Go - something the wife and I can both enjoy.

Also something more serious that I can connect to my gaming PC for serious gaming. Is Oculus Rift still the king for gaming VR or is there something better? Is it compatible with Steam VR games or do you need to separately purchase from Oculus store?

Is there a killer must-have VR game? I hear Superhot works good in VR and I enjoyed the hell out of it in regular 2D. I could get into replaying that in VR.

What about a good space sim? Reviews seem to imply that Elite Dangerous works well in VR.

For PC games not really interested in standing and moving around. My office isn't setup for it. So mainly games that you can play in a chair like flight sims.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Re: VR opinions

Post by Genom »

Both rift and regular Vive are about the same quality wise. Just chair tracking you can do slightly cheaper with the rift, and the rift also has a few games that arent on the Vive, while almost everything on the Vive runs on the rift. In the Vive world there is the Pro, but that's stupid expensive.

Honestly, I would test one out before you buy because I am very image quality focused, and while I like my Vive, once you live with the rez and lenticular artifacts for a few days, I find them very distracting. I dont find any single game/thing to be compelling on it's own to buy
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

From what I've read not a lot of difference - I have a rift, but haven't used it much. There is an app that translates vive games on steam to oculus. works fine. I like tilt brush b/c you can do all kinds of strange things with it. Draw figures that resonate to music, etc. I haven't tried it, but ED is supposed to be very good. Many of the titles are in the "shooter" category (superhot) which just isn't my thing.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I was just asking the same things to my co-workers, as they're more in the VR stuff. They seem to be pretty even between the two, as far as opinions go. Most they said I should hold off, as new stuff is always coming down the pike.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I was tempted to buy the Sony VR for my PS4pro when the bundle dropped to $250 during their E3 promotion but just didn't. Although Sony has invested a lot in VR games, I'm not seeing that killer game. Resident Evil 7 would be cool in VR but then what.

For the PC, if you want to try VR with minimal investment, try the Windows Mixed Reality headsets: https://www.amazon.com/HP-Mixed-Reality ... B077MF8TQ7 These run about $260 and you can get a refurb for $100 less. A friend at work bought one and like it but it has its drawbacks. Not all games support it like they do the Vive. You'll have to tinker with it to get it to play unsupported games.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Welp, I found a couple gift cards I got for xmas and went and got a Oculus go. I have to admit I am very surprised at how good the image quality is. Now keep in mind it is basically a 2 year old android phone powering it, so 3D is not super complex that I have seen so far, but for media consumption, like movies, it is amazingly good. Oculus has got a great lens setup on it. Due to glasses pushing it back the FOV could be better, but while I dont like watching movies on the Vive, on the Go it is quite nice. I wanted something for movies/shows while I am traveling, and also was looking at picking up the new Surface Go, but it is too much money for just a occasional media consumption device for me (I have a great gaming laptop for travel, and work provides a Lenovo laptop as well). So for the 250 bucks this little guy is very worth it. Watched Inifinity War in 3D on it and was very pleased.

I think the preference to watch movies on it, is it is very lightweight, and maybe the vive is too sharp, making the pixel flaws more obvious? Dunno, hard to quantify well, but there is a softer look to the Go.