Windows 10 October update problems: Wiped docs, plus Intel driver warning

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Windows 10 October update problems: Wiped docs, plus Intel driver warning

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Might want to hold off on build 1809 if you can.

I have all my systems set to defer major upgrades for 6 - 18 months. That's why I recommend all my clients (especially small businesses) buy Win10 Pro. I don't need to deal with this shit. I'd rather stay on an older, stable build dor as long as possible.

Microsoft really needs to go back to an every 2 year cycle for these upgrades (they're essentially service packs). They need to take their time and test them more thoroughly.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-1 ... r-warning/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Re: Windows 10 October update problems: Wiped docs, plus Intel driver warning

Post by Err »

I can research this on my own later but off the top of your head is there a way to defer on the HOME versions? I wish I'd paid extra and bought Pro for my main rig. Is it possible to go from Home to Pro without screwing up everything?

The worst part about this Update is that the Insiders were reporting these bugs. Microsoft knew but just had to hit that date. I mean we all have the capability to utilize the new ray-tracing features.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

There are a couple of tricks that give you some limited control of updates on Home. Right off the bat, if you're using Wifi, you can make it a 'metered' connection which will prevent updates from downloading on that network until you manually approve or connect to a different one. I think there may be a registry hack that blocks auto updates as well, if I remember correctly, unless MS took them out.

But YES you can update any Win10 Home to Pro via an upgrade through the Windows Store. I think it costs 100 bucks, but it's worth it. Pro and Home are actually the same OS in 10 so it's more of an unlock than an upgrade. It usually doesn't mess up anything, but I would always recommend imaging the boot drive first.

Once it's running Pro you have the option in the advanced update settings to switch to the business update branch (which delays major updates for 6 months) and then additionally defer major updates for a total of 18 months. I posted about it here somewhere, but you can Google it.

Microsoft keeps running into this problem because they are so hell bent on releasing an update every 6 months - ready or not. They need to slow down. 2 years is fine, or at least a year. The 6 month timeline is unrealistic.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I'm going to have to bend over and purchase pro. My main rig is now 7 years old. I'm dreading the day Microsoft pushes out in update where something just breaks. I'm also tired of changing all of my setting that get put back to default with every major branch.

I really don't understand Microsoft's mentality. My only guess is that they submitted a business plan and are hell bent on sticking to it because it affects bonuses. I can't think of anyone that uses the features implemented with each Windows version. Almost every program that add has been done better by third parties.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Here, these instructions show you how to switch to the business release channel (now called the Semi-Annual Channel to make it further obscured) and delay updates and upgrades:

https://www.howtogeek.com/286658/how-to ... indows-10/

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Thank You. I'm going to try entering one of my Win 7 pro keys to see if it will take before giving MS more money. According to this, it used to work: https://www.zdnet.com/article/going-pro ... t-hassles/

It seem the older I get, the less I want to dick around with my computer. I want to turn it on and do things, not search forums all evening to figure out how to fix the thing that worked 5 minutes ago before an update was installed.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Windows 7 pro keys worked fine as of 8 months ago when I got my laptop and Bob provided a key
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I just entered my Win 7 Pro Key. After 5 minutes and 2 restarts, it was a success. I can now defer updates. These are my settings:

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yup. Good to know you can do an update with a Win7 Pro key.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I don't know guys. I'm not sold on 10. I don't like these updates that fvck things up, and you spend hours trying to fix it as ERR stated. I don't know why MS is so bent on having these updates every 6 months. The way I look at is they are allowing users to be the beta testers for the updates. The best version that I've looked at is the LTSB version. It's a shame that it's not available for super users.

I'm actually probably going to move to using Linux Mint, and Virtual Box to run windows 7.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Microsoft pulls Windows 10 October 2018 Update after reports of mass file deletion

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3311977 ... etion.html

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

This update has been a cluster. I don't get how it fails on laptops running Intel Display because it's one of the most common chipsets. I read in another forum that the file deletion may be due to libraries that get reset to their default location so they no longer point where they are supposed to. Again this was reported by those part of the Insider program and they were ignored because come hell or high water Microsoft has to hit that rollout date.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Microsoft Says They Can Recover Files Deleted by Windows 10 October 2018 Update

Really? Do they have copies? If the OS deleted files it wasn't supposed to, then the OS overwrote the sectors with the new OS install; therefore, I doubt you can get your files back.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... 18-update/
Later in the day, the head of the Windows Insider program, Dona Sarkar, announced that Microsoft tech support has the tools to recover the missing files. She further suggested that those users who were missing the files call Microsoft support at +1-800-MICROSOFT for assistance.

#WindowsInsiders If you've run into the "missing files after update" issue for 1809/October 2018 Fall update, please call our support line. They have the tools to get you back to a good state. This build is no longer available to download manually: https://t.co/Ce9WVILknp pic.twitter.com/fvisQi1c8g
— Dona Sarkar (@donasarkar) October 6, 2018

Unfortunately, it appears that the Microsoft tech support agents do not know about these tools.

According to numerous people who called the support number, the support agents told them that the bug was still under investigation, they were not aware of any tools, and that they would have to wait until the investigation in the bug was finished. To confirm, I also called Microsoft support and was told the same thing.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

By all reports they are deleted due to some non-standard configuration of ypur personal folder and/or One Drive.

The fix is to use an undelete tool. To recover the files. Trouble is if you try rolling back the update first, you may overwrite the deleted files.

https://mspoweruser.com/how-to-restore- ... 18-update/

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Looks like it's an issue with the Known Folder Redirection feature (that let's you relocate your personal folders - I use this myself to keep my data on a seperate drive than the boot partition), and this is also used by One Drive.

Microsoft reveals causes and extent of Windows 10 October 2018 Update File Deletion bug

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-revea ... n-bug/amp/