GM Cutting Salaried Workers By 15 Percent, May Close 5 Plants

This car is systematic, hyyydromatic...why it's greased lightning!
Err
Life Member

GM Cutting Salaried Workers By 15 Percent, May Close 5 Plants

Post by Err »

https://www.motor1.com/news/279269/gm-c ... se-plants/
There aren’t any official closings as of yet, but the manufacturer will not allocate new products to three assembly plants and two propulsion plants next year. Locations include assembly plants in Lordstown, Ohio, Detroit-Hamtramck, and Oshawa, Ontario. Propulsion plants in White Marsh, Maryland and Warren, Michigan are also on the list. It’s expected current operations at these locations will continue through 2019, but with no new product allocations after that, the future of these locations – and the jobs associated with them – are certainly in question.

Additionally, no new product allocations also means that vehicles associated with these plants will likely be going away, and it looks like GM is following Ford's footsteps by killing sedans. The Cadillac XTS, Buick LaCrosse, Chevrolet Cruze, Cadillac CT6, and Chevrolet Impala are seemingly among the vehicular casualties.

The catalyst for this is GM’s grand plan to transition deeper into advanced technologies, which in this day and age generally means electric and autonomous development. There’s also no denying the shift in sales from sedans and compact cars to SUVs and crossovers of all sizes, not to mention pickup trucks. Ultimately, GM hopes the changes will free up $6 billion by the end of 2020.

“The actions we are taking today continue our transformation to be highly agile, resilient, and profitable, while giving us the flexibility to invest in the future,” said GM Chairman and CEO Mary Barra. “We recognize the need to stay in front of changing market conditions and customer preferences to position our company for long-term success.”
I read in another story that they were also killing the Volt. To me this all sounds like a ploy to appease the stockholders. They don't give a damn about the thousands of employees this will affect.

Unless we fix our infrastructure, electric vehicles and autonomous vehicles are never going to make mainstream. We need to be able to charge cars easily. Autonomous cars will also need to talk to one another somehow. I also think we need to place sensors in the roads.

I think the death of the American Sedan is sad. I don't understand why everyone wants an SUV. They really aren't that practical. A minivan has more utility than the average SUV. Consumer pick-up trucks have gotten really expensive. I don't know who's able to afford a new one. Gas will eventually go up again and we'll probably have to bail out the Big 3 again once SUV sales plummet.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: GM Cutting Salaried Workers By 15 Percent, May Close 5 Plants

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I think electric is here to stay, thanks to Tesla, and there is now a huge electric charging infrastructure here and in europe that's still growing. Around here, there's charger parking all over. And this is a rural area. I saw a lot of street chargers in Miami.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

GM spent 14 Billion on stock buybacks - now they need to borrow money.

https://wolfstreet.com/2018/11/26/gm-af ... -8-plants/

way down in the comments on this article there is some interesting stuff about lithium ion batteries and cold (below freezing weather). According to the commnet if you charge a battery when it is belwo freezing, you can get permanent damage. H esays that the cars use the batteries to keep the batteries warm. If you run out of juice, car has to be towed somewhere warm before you can charge it. no idea if that is true.

The whole price on cars esp trucks is crazy. Bigger profit on big stuff. The foreign companies seem to do just fine making smaller cars in the usa.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Didn't we just bail out GM back on 2013? I guess they can't compete with the Kia's, Honda, and Toyota. I've had bad luck with GM cars and trucks, and probably won't ever buy from them again.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

coming from the detroit area all I see are the big 3 cars .but in most the country I'm seeing way more Import car name tags .
they may or may not be being shipped into the country . but the big 3 US automakers are in deep trouble if they can't change there ways .
it also has to do with are politicians needing to face facts. were not the leader in world cars were still behind in vehicle the people want around the world. yes pickups and SUV's were the top builders of these style wanted .but were also have the lowest gas price in most the world . were 25 % lower then canada in per gallon at the pump price . well under 50 % plus then it is in Europe per gallon .so these people need gas saving cars and trucks .
other parts of the world are public transit dependent .here in the states were so dependent on are cars .even in montreal bikes are the fast growing sector of transit .bike rental is very popular you see bicycle rental stations all over town . I don't know the numbers but im thinking per capital .we are the leader world wide in commerical airline seats for domestic flight seats and planes. we are so spoiled in the united states when it comes to cars and air transportation .
on a side note -was talking to one of my neighbors today .were amazed at chrysler on how there getting away with all the high performance model vehicle they are able to offer and sell. thought there was a across the fleet MPG the company's had to meet including truck and car . maybe im wrong on this ruling.

on electric car's and trucks my feeling the same as it was - It a long way from being the norm to owning a electric car .there still to many down falls . time to recharge the batteries, miles per charge, weight of batteries,cost of replacement of batteries, disposal hazards of batteries,
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Reno, The EPA rolled back the standards but I still don't understand how Chrysler is meeting fleet average. I also don't know if there are any penalties for failing to do so.

EPA Proposed Rule: https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emissio ... s-proposed

See Page four. I think these are the current fleet averages but I'm not reading all 515 pages of this monstrosity to find out: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR- ... -16820.pdf
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Lithium batteries and cold do not mix well. My bike has a lithium battery that works great when its 60f or better. Below that its really iffy. At 32f Its a kick start only....

Even my e-cig thing wouldnt work or even charge while it was 35f or lower. I had to put it on the dash of the truck and let the sun warm it up before it would even charge.

GM really sucks now. Mopar is investing way too much into their performance lines, and ford quality has really dropped. The Jap manf are really the go to now for anything reliable.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Key Keeper wrote:GM really sucks now. Mopar is investing way too much into their performance lines, and ford quality has really dropped. The Jap manf are really the go to now for anything reliable.
Which is why I kept my 2000 Ford F150 Crew Cab. Has 152k on the clock, and I still get 17 mpg. Does not burn oil or drip any fluid.
We also have 2 Honda's: a 2013 CRV and a 2005 Accord. Both cars: zero issues.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

My 1998 GS300 just rolled 336k over and runs like a top. Our 07 expedition has a new engine in it from Ford @ 183k miles....see the contrast? 5.4L are junk anyways.