Microsoft's killer Windows 7 patch: Breaks networking, bricks legit 'Not genuine' PCs

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Microsoft's killer Windows 7 patch: Breaks networking, bricks legit 'Not genuine' PCs

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The networking bug knocked out the file shares on the main pc in my accountant's office yesterday. Took me a while to sort it out.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft ... nuine-pcs/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Microsoft's killer Windows 7 patch: Breaks networking, bricks legit 'Not genuine' PCs

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Another former client has the file share issue today.

Hasn't affected my home Win7 file server because I don't allow it to update. It is ONLY a file server and nothing else. I don't even have a working browser on it.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Microsoft's killer Windows 7 patch: Breaks networking, bricks legit 'Not genuine' PCs

Post by Executioner »

That's it. Fvck MS. I have updates turned off on only 2 of my 5, but now I'm going to turn all of them off.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well you don't want to skip them entirely on an internet browsing PC, but in Win7 I recommend setting updates to "notify, but don't download and install automatically". Then wait until the end of the month to install them. Let everyone else be beta testers.

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

This kind of garbage just motivates me more and more to try out SteamOS or similar.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Genom wrote:This kind of garbage just motivates me more and more to try out SteamOS or similar.
Same here. Early last year, I decided to give Linux Mint a try. I have it on a spare laptop using version 18.3. Works very well, especially the way it does updates: https://sites.google.com/site/easytipsf ... -explained

So if you are a typical user with minimal pc/software experience, it will only install levels 1-3 software updates. Levels 4 and 5 are not installed by default unless you want to install them. You have the option of having those visible also. I have all 5 show, and I install all 5 and had only 1 problem with a program called FireJail (sandbox for browsers). The new kernel did not allow the program to run, so I had to install the update manually for Firejail.
Another great thing about Linux Mint is after installing updates, you don't even have to reboot. If you have a problem with a new kernel, it's simple to go back to the previous one during the boot to the desktop.

This is the way Windows should do updates!

Once I boot to the desktop, all HD activity stops! I was really shocked to see this. Opening up software programs are really fast, and the internet browsers all work at a fast speed. No need for a AV program to run in the background. For the browser, I do have FireJail installed, ublock, etc. for addons.

I'm not sold on Windows 10 even though I have it on the same laptop as Linux Mint (I swap out the SSD). I have a new pc that I built with Windows 8.1 and classic shell that I plan to move to shortly from windows 7. I doubt I'll be moving to 10 any time soon unless things change for the OS.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I mean my home machine runs Steam, minimal GOG stuff and WoW. Otherwise it's desktop stuff that there's a million open source options.

I tried tossing Solus on my laptop and fortunately? found out I have a hardware issue. At least it's still under warranty. Have to toss a SSD into the tower to set it up on and play with a bit. Give me something to fuck around with this weekend.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Well, I'm going to keep my updates turned off, and I'm going to rely on this site that has only security updates only: https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/2 ... 7-and-8-1/

Site has great instructions for "Option B" which is what I want. Each month, there are between 1-3 security updates only.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

They released a an update to fix the broken file sharing problem a couple of weeks ago.

The updates that broke file sharing were KB4480960 & KB4480970.

KB4487345 fixes the problem and should have been installed last week

NOTE: If you applied a registry hack to work around the file sharing issue, you need to UNDO that reg hack after applying this update.

darcy

Post by darcy »

FlyingPenguin wrote:They released a an update to fix the broken file sharing problem a couple of weeks ago.

The updates that broke file sharing were KB4480960 & KB4480970.

KB4487345 fixes the problem and should have been installed last week

NOTE: If you applied a registry hack to work around the file sharing issue, you need to UNDO that reg hack after applying this update.
Oh, boy,, glad I saw this,,

I've 'hidden' the one ending in 0970; I didn't see the 0960 one in my updates.

p.s.,, -----------> I see two 2011 Updates for my refurbished Dell, FP, -
Security Update for XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 for x64 (KB954430
&
Update for XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2, x64 (KB973688).

Should I let them be?, - they're from 2011?

----
and also two .NeT Framework updates.

I really don't want to screw up this laptop,,, Thank you : )
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

XML Core updates are fine. NET Framework you should always do. That's a programming language a LOT of things are written in (like NVidia's graphics control panel, ATI too I think) and they find security flaws in them all the time.

You don't have to uninstall 960 & 970, the 345 fixes them, but if you uninstalled and hid that's fine.

darcy

Post by darcy »

FlyingPenguin wrote:XML Core updates are fine. NET Framework you should always do. That's a programming language a LOT of things are written in (like NVidia's graphics control panel, ATI too I think) and they find security flaws in them all the time.

You don't have to uninstall 960 & 970, the 345 fixes them, but if you uninstalled and hid that's fine.
Thanks very much :-)
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.