Borderlands Enhanced free upgrade!

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Borderlands Enhanced free upgrade!

Post by FlyingPenguin »

If you own Borderlands, or Borderlands game of the year, then you just got a free upgrade to the enhanced version that also includes all the DLCs for free if you didn't own them before. It should already be in your Steam library as a seperate game called 'Borderlands GOTY Enhanced'.

You can also import your Character from the older Borderlands game if you don't want to start all over. Mine imported just fine and picked up exactly where I left off in the game.

In addition to a graphical improvement, there's some very nice new features that make the game a lot more playable. There's now a mini-map in addition to the compass (big improvement). There's the ability to lock items in your inventory so you don't accidentally drop them or sell them, and a way to mark items as junk. Some items like money and ammo auto pick up now, so you're not clicking on everything all the time. There's an improved HUD, and the really big deal for me a proper FOV slider.

Since they threw in the Underdome DLC, if you didn't have it before, that adds a bank vault that you can store items in so you're no longer limited by just what you can carry.

No one thing is a big spectacular difference, but all together it leads to a much more polished game with smoother gameplay. Some of the annoying things they fixed were the reason I gave up the game in the first place.

The graphical improvements aren't spectacular but on a modern high res monitor they sure look nice with HD textures. Improved lighting and better-looking shadows stand out for me. There's plenty of comparison YouTube videos out there if you want to see what the differences are.

I've been binging the past two nights and got my old level 14 character up to level 25 now.

All the details here:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/8980/a ... 7036180317
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Re: Borderlands Enhanced free upgrade!

Post by Err »

Did they fix the annoyance where you had to leave the vehicle to pick up money? It's been a while since I played through the original.

Are you planning on getting Borderlands 3?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Did they fix the annoyance where you had to leave the vehicle to pick up money?
You know, I haven't consciously noticed, but I think so, because I haven't gotten out of the vehicle for any reason unless I was at my destination. I love running over enemies. I'll double check tonight. Ammo, health and money (on the ground) are all auto-pickups now. That was one of the big annoyances of the original. It felt like I was going to get carpal tunnel clicking the use key so much. You still have to click the use key for ammo, money, health in crates and lockers, but that's okay.

Nah, BL3 isn't really on my radar. I really didn't like BL2 all that much. I always liked the look and feel of BL the best, but two things ruined it for me back then: the bad GUI and inventory management, and the fact that a friend of mine talked me into playing coop with him before I got very far along in the single player game. He proceeded to try to show me every trick and secret and spoiled the game for me. Enough time has passed now that I'm playing it with fresh eyes and thoroughly enjoying the single player.

Coop is fine, don't get me wrong, but coop in this game, and a game like Dying Light, should be played AFTER completing the single player or at least progressing substantially far along the single player game that it doesn't spoil it for you.

The only other thing I can say is that after binging for 2 days, it's starting to feel a little repetitive. The only thing that really keeps it interesting is looking for better weapons, and occasionally an unusual area to beat.

I found it tedious to compare weapons in the original game, so I think they tweaked the inventory screen a bit to make it easier to compare, and that helps.

They also have a BL2 style golden chest and you get 75 golden keys if you owned BL2 or the pre-sequell, and the chest gives you purple and blue weapons at your class level. I used that to pickup a couple of good weapons to supplement mostly crappy weapons my imported character had.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

If it's dropped cash from killing stuff, it autoloots now. Same as ammo.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah I get auto loot from driving over someone.

My one remaining big complaint with the game is the directional audio. Most games, especially with headphones like I play with, you can get a very good sense of direction from the voice or the weapons fire of an enemy. All games have done this reasonably well going back to at least the original CounterStrike.

Borderland's directional audio pretty much sucks, even in the Enhanced version. Drives me crazy when some thug is yelling at me and taking pot shots and the only way I can even get any hint of where he's hiding is by looking for blips on the map or actually seeing his muzzle flash.