Windows 10 1903 (May 2019) Manual Upgrade

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Windows 10 1903 (May 2019) Manual Upgrade

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Win10 1903 is out, and except for an issue with some Ryzen CPUs, it seems to be fine (MS is aware of the Ryzen issue and if you have one of these CPUs it will not allow the upgrade to proceed until they've fixed the problem).

Normally anyone running 1803 or older will be forced into the 1903 update next month anyway. Be aware of this. If you want to stick to 1803 for another 6 months, and you're running Pro, make sure you have Windows Update set to "Semi-annual channel" and the Feature Update deferred for 365 days.

While I prefer to keep my workstation and gaming PC on 1803 for now, my laptop is still on 1703 so I figured I'd go ahead and update it. However I locked down that machine's ability to do updates via the registry a while back, and I'm not sure it'll even offer me the 1903 upgrade, so I'm going to install it manually.

Microsoft provides a download for the "Microsoft Update Assistant" here: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445
That downloads the upgrade in the background and installs it.

NOTE: If there is a block on your hardware due to incompatibility (like the Ryzen issue, or an incompatible AV app) it will abort without installing.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Windows 10 1903 (May 2019) Manual Upgrade

Post by FlyingPenguin »

That went smoothly. HOWEVER there is a known issue with the Advanced Windows Update settings that seems to effect some PCs upgrading to 1903, and it affected mine. The settings to defer quality updates up to 30 days and feature updates up to 365 days (in Win10 Pro) has disappeared.

It's a known issue, and doesn't happen to everyone.

HOWEVER, you can still access the settings via the Group Policy Editor as explained here, and I re-enabled the deferrals this way:

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/28/windo ... l-options/

- In GPEDIT.MSC go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Windows Update for Business.

- There you find "Select when Preview Builds and Feature Updates are received" and "Select when Quality Updates are received".
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Another note if you upgrade to 1903: I had the Spectre and Meltdown mitigations disabled on this laptop because I never run a VM on it, and I want all the performance I can get. I ran GRC's Inspectre utility to check and found that the update had turned them back on, so I turned them off.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I went ahead and took the plunge yesterday on my gaming rig. The 1903 update went without any issues. Everything seemed to work. I updated my video card drivers and installed any remaining updates to Windows. Everything was running smooth until I tried to play Enter The Gungeon. After about 5 minutes of playing, the sound started glitching and then I got a BSOD. It's the same error (https://pcabusers.org/phpbb3/viewtopic. ... 0&start=15 was getting if I use PowerDVD. There was a Bios update so I applied that. I also downloaded the Realtek drivers from MSI's site and re-installed those. I tried playing Enter the Gungeon again and didn't get a BSOD. I tried a couple of other games for a few minutes and didn't see any issues.

I really don't know what's causing my random BSOD's. This is the first one I've seen since I stopped using PowerDVD.
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

updating to this now...I've been wanting to use the sandbox feature for a while.
b-man1

Post by b-man1 »

The update went without issue and seems to be working fine. The sandbox feature will be very useful too.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I got another BSOD last night while the computer was idle. I was watching a Blu-Ray on my PS4-Pro and when I switched my input back to my PC, it was a BSOD that was frozen. There was no Dump created. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostics and both passes were clear of errors. I ran sfc and it found one file I believe is related to .net that the hash was off. I don't think that's the issue.

I'm thinking of selling or giving this basted PC away and going back to my Sandy Bridge build. I'm too old to be troubleshooting this crap; especially when I'm not getting anything useful from the logs.