Samsung Is Promising 'Never-Die' SSDs

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Samsung Is Promising 'Never-Die' SSDs

Post by reno »

If a NAND chip fails, these new SSDs detect it, move the data somewhere else on the drive, and keep on functioning.

These SSDs are set to include new technology Samsung is calling fail-in-place (FIP). What FIP technology does is allow a drive to cope if something goes wrong with one or more of the NAND chips it contains. So rather than dying, what's left of the functioning storage chips will continue to work, albeit in a drive that has less storage space available.

FIP goes a step further than that, though, and manages to scan for any damage in the data before relocating it to the remaining NAND chips that work. Samsung has basically built data recovery into its new SSDs
pcmag.com/news/370835/samsung-is-promising-never-die-ssds?fbclid=IwAR1jVIyxFOrzE2KrR736-0bxb6H0A5khzHBqpBzBRZlEMai-u62jIjtSnb0
normalicy

Re: Samsung Is Promising 'Never-Die' SSDs

Post by normalicy »

Interesting that you mention this while I'm RMAing my 2nd Sandisk SSD in the last couple months.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

normalicy wrote:Interesting that you mention this while I'm RMAing my 2nd Sandisk SSD in the last couple months.
Sounds like it's time for you to switch to Samsung :) I have about a dozen different Samsung SSDs (Pro, EVO, M.2 PRO) etc... I personally haven't had any issues with any of them and some have been running for 4+ years. I've had hard drives in my NAS bought and died in that same time frame.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Yeah, I took a chance because they were on sale for cheaper than my go-to Inland ones (Microcenter's house brand). These are the only SSDs to ever fail me. But yeah, I went Samsung for the replacements.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I have a couple of Sandisks I picked up on sale, but I only use them in non critical situations - like my media center PCs. No problems with them yet.

All my important PCs I use Samsung.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Neither of my 1TB drives made it past 6 months.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

I have some junky Sandisk SSD's that are still chugging along. Mainly put my Steam library on them. But will probably go Samsung as they eventually die off.