John Woo's long lost 2007 first person shooter, Strangehold, is now available on GOG

Talk about your favorite games and any new or upcoming ones. Share cool tips & tricks
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

John Woo's long lost 2007 first person shooter, Strangehold, is now available on GOG

Post by FlyingPenguin »

https://www.gog.com/news/stranglehold_r ... y_john_woo
After years of dwelling in obscurity, the Stranglehold game is back in grand style, thanks to GOG.COM and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

For some, this is a true gem among third-person shooters. Others will enjoy discovering the game’s pure action formula straight out of a Hong Kong action flick.

But the title was not forgotten. For years, Stranglehold became something of a legend, not only for Chinese cinema fans but all gamers who loved action titles. Its cult-following grew steadily, only to be stalled by the fact that the DRM version of the game did not support the newer Windows versions.

Fortunately, in 2019, thanks to GOG.COM and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Stranglehold returns to PC in all its gun ballet and action-packed glory. Now you can once again join Inspector “Tequila” Yuen in his all-out war against the criminal world.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: John Woo's long lost 2007 first person shooter, Strangehold, is now available on GOG

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay, to some it up, it's Max Payne on acid, with John Woo directing.

Bullet time is handled WAY better than in Max Payne games, and you are encouraged to perform fancy kills and stunts which give you stars that you can use for special skills.

The game is 3rd person and sometimes has a very tight over the shoulder view, but you get used to it. It's very cinematic.

You have these mini-boss rounds where you are up against several enemies in a Mexican standoff and you have to kill them one at a time while dodging bullets ala The Matrix.

The game really does feel like you're in a John Woo movie. Even the music.

Graphics are very good for that era (2007).

Here's some gameplay. Skip ahead to 19:00 for the second stage which has more weapons and more interesting scenery. The first stage is more to familiarize you with the mechanics.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: John Woo's long lost 2007 first person shooter, Strangehold, is now available on GOG

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The game may not support wide screen resolutions, but you can use command line parameters to force whatever resolution you want. For example, my shortcut for my 3440x1440 monitor:

"F:\Strangehold\Binaries\Retail-Stranglehold.exe" -language=eng -ResX=3440 -ResY=1440

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Heh. I like the cheeky way it scores you at the end of each stage:

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Half way through the 2nd stage. Game has some interesting destructible environment elements. You can shoot the crap out of most things, and in order to get to some places you need to blow up walls, destroy roof and walkway supports, and you can even shoot things like signs so they fall on people.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

This game is how old? The gfx are cracking me up.