Windows 10 printing breaks due to Microsoft June 2020 updates

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Err
Life Member

Windows 10 printing breaks due to Microsoft June 2020 updates

Post by Err »

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... 0-updates/

If you're having issues, uninstall updates KB4560960 and KB4557957 or update printer drivers to PCL6.

And Microsoft wondered why businesses delayed upgrading to Windows 10 as long as they could. I rarely print at home but at work, I print quite a bit. I have a feeling that these issues are being caught but ignored by Microsoft.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Windows 10 printing breaks due to Microsoft June 2020 updates

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Was just reading about this. Specifically, they broke ALL PCL5 printer drivers. Since a LOT of printers and commercial office copier/printers use PCL5 drivers for legacy compatibility, it's a bit of a nightmare for IT people and copier leasing companies.

Popular Ricoh copiers are affected, and I used to have clients that had everyone in the office print to just one, big, heavy duty Ricoh copier.

It's one of those weeks where I'm thrilled I'm no longer doing IT work. :)
I have a feeling that these issues are being caught but ignored by Microsoft.
Well the big problem is MS no longer does much internal testing except automated testing on VMs. They're relying on people voluntarily in the Windows Insider program to test early builds for them, but the problem is that most Windows Insiders are also testing on VMs - very few are going to install an early build on a production machine. Heck, I'm a member of the Insider program, but I only run early builds occasionally in a VM just to checkout new features. VMs don't allow for much hardware variety testing and most people poking around with an early build on a VM are probably not printing much. So maybe a few Insiders did catch this problem and report it, but it probably wasn't enough to attract attention, because hey, if a couple of people out of tens of thousands report a printer issue, it's probably a fluke, RIGHT?

MS needs to go back to paying people to actually run early builds on a variety hardware in real world situations.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Did they resolve all the May update issues?
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

And more problems...

Windows 10 2004: Defragger bug defrags SSD Drives too often
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... too-often/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

SIGH

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Well the big problem is MS no longer does much internal testing except automated testing on VMs. They're relying on people voluntarily in the Windows Insider program to test early builds for them, but the problem is that most Windows Insiders are also testing on VMs - very few are going to install an early build on a production machine. Heck, I'm a member of the Insider program, but I only run early builds occasionally in a VM just to checkout new features. VMs don't allow for much hardware variety testing and most people poking around with an early build on a VM are probably not printing much. So maybe a few Insiders did catch this problem and report it, but it probably wasn't enough to attract attention, because hey, if a couple of people out of tens of thousands report a printer issue, it's probably a fluke, RIGHT?
Not only that, but even when the bugs are reported, Microsoft just keeps with their scheduled and still releases. A lot of the big bugs that we've been seeing were reported and ignored.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Interesting read on SSD's and defrag: https://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealA ... urSSD.aspx
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

We keep delaying various Windows updates at the office because of this constant stream of crap coming from MS.

What really bugs me is that they took away our ability to just refuse updates. I don't think the delaying is working on a couple of my machines. Very annoying.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You can refuse ALL updates via Group Policy and only install them by manually going to Windows Update, but they ALL have to be installed when you do choose to do it.

Even though you can't individually install or block updates, you CAN uninstall a problematic one after it's installed.

But yeah, I miss the days where I could pick and choose what I want.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Do Microsoft employees use Microsoft OS and Office suites? You'd think they would be the loudest complainers when something breaks.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I wonder about that myself. Or do they, like us, defer updates? I'd love to know.

The irony would be is if the majority of the 30% of PCs still running Win7 are being used in Microsoft corporate offices, because they can still get Enterprise updates. :E

I'm still on 1803 even though it's officially out of support.

I may go ahead and update the workstation to 1909 soon just to get a few new features, and because it's stable (already running it on my Surface tablet and laptop), but I think I'll keep the gaming PC on 1803 until some game refuses to work with it. All I do on that PC is game, and I don't like to do anything to it that may subtly change the gaming experience. MS likes to mess with mouse polling rates between versions. I run as a non-admin on both of them, and Defender is still getting updates, so I'm not worried about it.

I know people in the IT biz who still run Win7 on their production systems, but they also run as a non-admin and take precautions. Steve Gibson only just upgraded to Win7 on his development PC this year when he couldn't get some programs to work under WinXP anymore, and except for a laptop he uses for podcasting, he has zero desire to move to Win10.

I like Win10, once it's properly neutered. But I did run Win8.1 for a very long time as a bridge until I finally committed to Win10, and my new processor wouldn't support Win8.1 so it was time.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I've been on 1909 since it was released without issue except for the sound drivers. I can only use the drivers provide through Microsoft. If I install the Realtek drivers from MSI, I don't get any sound. I'm not too concerned as everything is working but I don't have access to any advanced settings. I think I found my random blue screen issue a couple of months ago but didn't want to say anything to jinx it. When I installed MSI's Dragon Center I installed something called Lan Manager and didn't think much of it. It supposed to prioritize network traffic. I was reading through MSI's forums and cam across a post asking how to uninstall it because it was causing BSOD's. I immediately uninstalled it and so far so good.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I jinxed myself. After 3 months with no issues I got another BSOD. Same error as before. I wish I'd never built this system. All I was doing is falling asleep watching youtube.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Just a thought, but check RAM timing in Bios and make sure it's not overclocked. My main rig was BSODing for a few months, but only when under heavy CPU load like transcoding videos. Just on a whim I went into bios to check for anything amiss and noticed my RAM was overclocked, and I'm certain I never did that when I setup the system. I think it happened after a firmware update.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Just a thought, but check RAM timing in Bios and make sure it's not overclocked. My main rig was BSODing for a few months, but only when under heavy CPU load like transcoding videos. Just on a whim I went into bios to check for anything amiss and noticed my RAM was overclocked, and I'm certain I never did that when I setup the system. I think it happened after a firmware update.
I ran SFC /scannow and there were corrupted files that were repaired. I didn't bother checking the log as I can never tell what exactly is happening when something is repaired.

There was a BIOS update so I installed that. I checked the memory profile and XMP is active. The memory frequency is showing correctly but I haven't checked the voltage against what GSkill recommends. I remember on my Q6600 system having to manually put in the correct memory settings or the system would crash.

This weekend, I disable Spectre using the tool. Meltdown was already disabled. I re-enabled Spectre because it was the last change I remember making before I got the BSOD last night. No Windows updates have been installed since the June 21.

I am on 1090 with deferred updates and deferred feature updates.

This is very frustrating as I'm never doing anything when the BSOD occurs. It happens when the PC is idle or watching Youtube in Firefox. At this point, I feel like going back to my 2500K OC'd to 4.2. That thing was rock stable (at least under 1803, I never updated past that before I built this one). I'm worried that I have a hardware issue that's MB or CPU related. However, stressing the PC doesn't seem to turn up anything.

I would greatly appreciate any help finding the issue. I'm also not overclocking anything. I see no point in doing that these days.

Thanks