2nd Gen Ryzen Kicks Much Ass

All things AMD. The best motherboards, COOLING setup, overclocking, how to, etc..
psypher
Golden Member

Re: 2nd Gen Ryzen Kicks Much Ass

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Oops. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks Psypher! I'll put that in my notes.

Did you have to tweak the timing for the GSkill RAM or use the stock settings?
Using all stock settings.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Welp, I pulled the trigger on the MSI MB and a 3900x, so we shall see how it runs once I get it. Held off on the gfx cad since the 970 to 1070 upgrade was underwhelming, I'll wait for the next gen GPU's, but the CPU will be a nice upgrade over the old 5820 I have now

I did go with WD black NVME's to try out, since the 1TB are only 130 bucks, and 64GB RAM. Mainly because I have been getting into photogrametry, and these apps suck RAM and CPU cycles like mad.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Welp, got the hardware in, got the system rebuilt. Did some testing. Blender and meshroom are taking less than 1/3 of the time to process/render. So 2-3 hour renders are running 45 minutes or less, depending. Quite pleased with that.

MB is meh. There is nothing wrong with it, but it does not support raid over NVME, so I have a basic windows stripe for the data volume, and the BIOS is very kiddy/gamer focused, so it's stupid looking for the most part and some shit is confusing to find. Only thing it did well was put XMP on/off as a big button on the main screen, so ram sets itself up correctly. I am not overclocking at all.

I got a cheap AIO cooler, and I am regretting it. I got this: https://www.newegg.com/cooler-master-ma ... 0004-00015 and while installation wasnt bad, the fans that come with it are trash. Very annoying noise. I have some Be quiet fans coming, but wont be here until Thursday. Also, MB only has 4 SATA ports, so that may be limiting for some.

Pretty pleased overall, and should the next gen Ryzens blow everybody's socks off, it should be a drop in upgrade, and I am ready for whatever next gen GPU has the best bang for buck.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

It's the kind of upgrade you don't appreciate until you do something intensive and realize how quick it really is.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Yeah, I knew I was going to be doing stuff that would use the cores, hence the AMD vs Intel choice.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Genom wrote:MB is meh. There is nothing wrong with it, but it does not support raid over NVME, so I have a basic windows stripe for the data volume
I used to build all my desktops with raid 1, but I've moved away from that. Just not worth the performance hit or complication. I recently even broke my raid 1 and switched to a single NVMe.
The chances of a reputable flash storage device failing is very small compared to spindles. I probably have over 20 various SSD and NVMe drives from difference generations and only ones that have ever failed were some very early Intel drives. I mostly use Samsung and a few Crucial drives for cheaper large storage. I do employ other mechanisms for backing up (weekly drive imaging, daily file backups, and live cloud sync'd file backups)
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Yeah, the stripe is just for games and data type shit. OS runs on a single intel NVMe, and anything important is on the NAS that runs weekly incrementals to S3
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Genom wrote:Yeah, the stripe is just for games and data type shit. OS runs on a single intel NVMe, and anything important is on the NAS that runs weekly incrementals to S3
Lol, striped NVMe, man that sounds like some serious overkill :) Post a benchmark on that, I'm curious.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Here you go. Just downloaded and ran crystalmark on defaults.
Capture.PNG
atto.PNG

Also, I have found the MSI audio driver is garbage. it does not install the Realtek audio manager that I use all the time since I have my headset on the front ports and it makes it easy to switch around, and volume seems to reset on reboot. God I hope it's not a bad MB.

Downloading the non oem driver from Realtek, but their ftp server is hosted on a old potato so we shall see
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Continuing the saga of the MB, turns out the latest Realtek drivers do not support the functionality I had before. It uses a new control panel type software, but the option to split rear and front outputs to 2 separate streams, so you could leave your headset and speakers plugged in 24/7 and just use the control panel to switch between them, is no longer functional, and who knows when it will be fixed.

Suuuper annoying thing to run into. Anybody with a non MSI X570 board, do you have that same issue?

Hell, I may try installing this old SB-Z I have laying around and give it a shot again and see if I can get it to do what I want.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Could you do the swap on audio if you plugged headphones into monitor?
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

My monitor doesnt have audio. What I did find are some cheapo USB Sound Blaster dongles. So I ordered 1. if it works how I hope, it will be good enough.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I have a couple of those SB USB dongles. They work nice. I used to use them on my Media Center PCs before I started using HDMI audio.

I still use a standalone audio card on my gaming rig. I had similar switching issues with the onboard.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

What audio card are you running? last SB I got I stopped cause the drivers where pretty meh and broke on a windows update as I recall, although I still have the SB-Z here.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Sound Blaster Z PCIe. Reliable card. No driver issues. I don't install the utility, just the driver, as Win10 itself manages port switching very well on it's own. I think the SB utility sometimes conflicts with what Win10 is trying to do.

All modern cases have a header that can plug into either the mobo audio header or the addon sound card to provide access to the front panel jacks.

Only issue I ran into is once in a blue moon the volume on the mic will change up or down slightly, which forced me to adjust the vox threshold in Teamspeak, but I think I've solved that by enabling mic boost. Hasn't happened in a while. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the card or just a dirty mute switch in my headset.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009I ... UTF8&psc=1
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "