Semi budget build

Discussions about anything Computer Hardware Related. Overclocking, underclocking and talk about the latest or even the oldest technology. PCA Reviews feedback
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Semi budget build

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah, they aren't what they used to be. I haven't bought anything from them since 2018 (I just checked) when I purchased my 35" curved AGON monitor from them.

I don't like that they're now a "Marketplace" and most of time the things I'm interested in are from a 3rd party vendor. If I'm going to use a 3rd party, I may as well use Amazon.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Yeah their post sales support used to be stellar but now you are just a number for the bean counters. Will order from amazon moving forward.

Turns out the CPU was bad and Ive sent it back for refund and dropped to a 2600 on my dime. CPU had no VGA instruction so it couldn't see the video card on x16 slot hence no post and hanging on vga light. On slot 2, the chipset could see it.

We shall see. Said it was refundable per the invoice, but the new order shows available for replacement only. Makes me wonder if I'm going to have to eat return shipping only to contact AMD on it. CPU are RARELY bad, but in this case, that's what it was. Sad it took 3 mobo to figure it out. Egg has refunded one of them so far, so I may end up with a second mobo I dont need. If that's the case, I'll just pick up another cpu locally for my stepson and have him grab some ram and he will have a much newer system. Fingers crossed at this point....
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

FP, CPU was bad. Tested it in another system, and it exhibited the exact same thing. Hung n VGA but would post on pcie2. Showed high temps as well on other system. I already sent it back and dropped to a R5 2600 to recoup some of my loss at this point. I may regret the lower L3 cache but either way it will be a good machine. Ive read the 2600 OC very well, and the 3600 doesnt so...dont think the couple hundred mhz will be much of an issue. The cache may.

I can pick up another board and some ram when I am ready to upgrade cpu and it will be hand me down to one of my boys.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Strange. Rarely see a bad CPU unless it's totally fried.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Look at the one egg reviews on newegg. Im only one of many with similar issues. Temp and no post.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Well it has finally came together. Roughly 20-28fps more in all games now. Still lags like hell with RTX on. Highest clock I could get it to run in auto mode was 3.7ghz so went into bios and manually played around. Rock solid at 4.1ghz and 67c full load for half hour on prime95 with Vcore at 1.297v. Boot times arent much better though. 8-10 full seconds from time it posts bios splash screen. Installed a BeQuiet! PureRock 150 and seems to do the job well for air.

On a side note, I just plugged my SDD in and it booted off of it and had spinning ring with "configuring devices" and bingo...been smooth since. No need to reinstall windows. Had a few drivers I had to update, but seems good so far.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

What is yalls go to benchmark software? Looks like pcmark went pay only? Any decent free stuff out there? I really dont want to dL any bloatware BS.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

3DMark still has a free edition, but that's for gaming: https://benchmarks.ul.com/3dmark#windows

There is also a free basic edition PCMark. No idea why there's no link to it on their site, but you can get it here. This is a reputable site: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/fu ... pcmark-10/

Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Thank you.
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

Put a WD NVME drive in it, used macrium to clone as GPT partion and bingo....3-4 second boot times from bios splash screen....damn they are fast.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

LOL - and I thought my 8 second boot was good.