Changes to Last Pass

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

Changes to Last Pass

Post by Executioner »

Got this email from the makers of Last Pass. I hope they don't screw this up since it's owned by Logmein. I do have Bitwarden installed also, but I haven't kept up with additions.
We're making some changes to LastPass Free
We love being a part of the security routines of more than 20 million users across the world. As our community continues to grow, we need to adapt our offerings to keep up with the constantly evolving digital world.

Beginning March 16, 2021, we will be introducing some changes to our LastPass Free experience, including how many device types free users will be able to use LastPass on (more details below).

Leading up to these changes, you can upgrade to Premium at a limited-time discounted rate of $2.25 per month, billed annually ($36 $27 /year).
https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass ... UifQ%3D%3D
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Changes to Last Pass

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Been using Sticky Password the past couple of years. One time license. I have it on three different computers in my home, and only let it sync between them locally.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Been using Sticky Password the past couple of years. One time license. I have it on three different computers in my home, and only let it sync between them locally.
Is there a mobile option? I access info in my LastPass notes, that I need from time to time when I'm away from home.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I believe so, but I don't use the mobile apps. It works for me, but to be honest it may not be the best option. I don't trust it (or anything) with things like bank and brokerage accounts - I never save those in anything but a secure encrypted text file and copy paste.

Been talking about other options with guys on Bluesnews recently, and they gave me these two open source recommendations:

Bitwarden
https://bitwarden.com/

Password Safe. This was designed by Bruce Schneier, who has some serious security cred, and probably what I'd look at for myself if I was going to switch.
https://pwsafe.org/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Cool. Thanks for the tips

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:I believe so, but I don't use the mobile apps. It works for me, but to be honest it may not be the best option. I don't trust it (or anything) with things like bank and brokerage accounts - I never save those in anything but a secure encrypted text file and copy paste.

Been talking about other options with guys on Bluesnews recently, and they gave me these two open source recommendations:

Bitwarden
https://bitwarden.com/

Password Safe. This was designed by Bruce Schneier, who has some serious security cred, and probably what I'd look at for myself if I was going to switch.
https://pwsafe.org/

Funny this discussion has come up again. Last year LastPass was discussed and I mentioned how things would get worse with them since they were bought out. I recommended Bitwarden. I've been using now for several years and actually pay for it.

So if anyone is thinking of getting away from LastPass, Bitwarden is a great choice.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Gonna have to look into this now and export my LastPass info over.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I'm good for now since I only use LP on my pc's and not on my phone; however, if they screw with it any more, I'll have to switch.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Executioner wrote:I'm good for now since I only use LP on my pc's and not on my phone; however, if they screw with it any more, I'll have to switch.
I have to track so many passwords and secure info. Having to manage that all on just a phone is a pain in the ass. I love being able to work with my data in a desktop browser and then having it all available on my phone.

It's the same reason I bought an app named Paprika to store all my recipes. They have a windows app that I can use to add/edit all my recipes, but then in the kitchen I access them on a tablet.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Here's the back story on the changes to LastPass. LogMeIn, who owned LastPass, was bought by (wait for it) a private equity company. Frankly, given the private equity company's reputation, I wouldn't trust LastPass anymore.

Demand for fee to use password app LastPass sparks backlash
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/03 ... -backlash/

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

So when it comes to bitwarden, are they just like LastPass where your only option is to save it on their servers?

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Not sure. I'd have to research.

If you want it totally in your own control I'd recommend Sticky Password, which is what I'm using, and turn off cloud sync. However the only way it syncs without cloud is over your LAN.

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Losbot wrote:So when it comes to bitwarden, are they just like LastPass where your only option is to save it on their servers?
No, you can either store it in the "cloud", they use Microsoft Azure. Or you can host Bitwarden locally on your own network. Keep in mind, their software is open source and audited by a 3rd party.

Instructions for on-premise
https://bitwarden.com/help/article/install-on-premise/
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Good to know.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I'm going to be deleting LP. Already removed it from my phone. I had to "stop" the program before I got the uninstall option. I'm currently using BW on my desktop and laptop.