going to be down for 10 to 12 weeks .

Kick Back and Relax in the Cheers! Forum. Thoughts on life or want advice or thoughts from other pca members. Or just plain "chill". Originator of da Babe threads.
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Re: going to be down for 10 to 12 weeks .

Post by reno »

i went kind of crazy last night and ended up driving to the ER. I grab a scissor's and cut the cast off my hand . the local hospital made a temp splint cast (in short the original splint was padded .the problem was due to my hand bleeding and soaking the padding and then them drying and turning hard and shifting) {took old cut off brace and pads with me to ER} they said call the Hand surgery MD. office in the am . got in there today at 11AM brother in-law went with me to DR office today. anyway they took the new dressing (cast off and said they just bandage it up and set me up with first pt therapy this Friday . also gave me a refill on the pain meds . there still a area in my hand that will take a while to heal as there wasn't enough skin to stitch everything closed .but there sure are a bunch of stitches. so that what's up now'.
darcy

Post by darcy »

My word! :(
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

OK, wow. That took a left turn.
reno

Post by reno »

pt today - was easy it was just take hand movement measurement . both hands were measured fingers open the closed both hands , grip strength on right hand only due to stiches on left . will have 5 weeks of pt twice a week . also couple more visits to the Hand MD.
will be doing hand exercise's at home to. they showed me some to do .but also told me not to go crazy at home to push results .as i could do more damage if I push to hard.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Yeah, I had to go through the same thing. Just take it easy and you'll get there.
reno

Post by reno »

see DR. today think stiches are going to be removed. I'm hoping to be told I can shower without having to saran wrap it.
reno

Post by reno »

ya stitch's are removed :) told ok to shower without saran wrap :) told not to submerge/soak hand for 2 more weeks . bandages off and told to return in 3 weeks .also to keep going to PT. and do hand range of motion exercise's. pt told me last visit to take pain meds or aspirin 1 hour before treatment's. aspirin because that best for me.
aspirin always seem to work best then most pain meds on my body .kind of the better of 2 evils I guess.
reno

Post by reno »

well yesterday was fun - started real Physical Therapy treatments . also got one last stitch removed that was missed . was given a sonic treatment that help in the removal of dead skin and healing . also was informed that swelling in the finger may take up to a year to subside. :(
each Physical Therapy treatment will be 1/2 hour long . did a bunch of different activity's. one was what looked like a checker board with 1/2 inch square blocks of wood .each block had a plastic tube made into a loop on top. the bottom of each block was Velcro to the board . we had to use my ring finger and remove every block. then reverse it back onto the board .look simple enough but wasn't trying to grab them return them to the board.
also discovered yesterday. I'm unable right now to use my left hand to light a bic lighter .cant close my fingers enough to hold the lighter.im sure this will improve over time. for now its one step at a time and hope swelling subside sooner then later.
also at this present time. I'm unable to lay my left hand flat on a table . this I my never be able to do and I'm also can live with this .
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

One day at a time. That's all you can do.
------------------------------------------

darcy

Post by darcy »

reno wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:57 am well yesterday was fun - started real Physical Therapy treatments . also got one last stitch removed that was missed . was given a sonic treatment that help in the removal of dead skin and healing . also was informed that swelling in the finger may take up to a year to subside. :(
each Physical Therapy treatment will be 1/2 hour long . did a bunch of different activity's. one was what looked like a checker board with 1/2 inch square blocks of wood .each block had a plastic tube made into a loop on top. the bottom of each block was Velcro to the board . we had to use my ring finger and remove every block. then reverse it back onto the board .look simple enough but wasn't trying to grab them return them to the board.
also discovered yesterday. I'm unable right now to use my left hand to light a bic lighter .cant close my fingers enough to hold the lighter.im sure this will improve over time. for now its one step at a time and hope swelling subside sooner then later.
also at this present time. I'm unable to lay my left hand flat on a table . this I my never be able to do and I'm also can live with this .
,,, keep at it,, take all the PT you can!
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.
reno

Post by reno »

the hand is getting a lot stronger got to play with a taffy type putty today that had little pegs in .my job was to get all the peg out. then use a hand grip and remove wood pegs out of a board . reset them while squeezing's the gripper.
reno

Post by reno »

well they cut me loose from PT 3 visit early .see the DR. Wednesday expect to be released then . also got my part of the ER bill. for my trip to be re-casted. that was $120.00 im happy with that .