Picked up an Onkyo TA-R301 cassette deck

Discussions about movies, the latest and greatest DVD's, Music & Anime
Executioner
Life Member

Picked up an Onkyo TA-R301 cassette deck

Post by Executioner »

for only $20 via FB Market Place. It's in excellent condition with no scratches or dents. The pinch roller and heads looks excellent. So now I have two of these decks. For only $20, even if it did not work, I have parts for mine that does work.

At first when I powered it on when pushing play with a cassette loaded, it did not really work at first. The tape would play between fast forward and play with no output. So I began to push and turn all the buttons several times, and it now plays correctly. Must have been in storage for a long time.

https://www.vintagecassette.com/onkyo/ta-r301
Last edited by Executioner on Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Picked up an Onkyo TA-R301 cassette deck

Post by FlyingPenguin »

NICE!
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Very Nice. The person who sold be the Onkyo TA-2055 with the bad motor replaced the motor and offered it back at $50 off. It now plays great. I think I never considered Onkyo decks back when I was younger because they were so expensive. It looks like the TA-R301 was $300 in 1990's money.

If I'd known that Cassettes were going to be popular again, I'd bought up a bunch of them when they were dirt cheap as everyone was dumping them. At that point in my life, I may have had the patience to learn to repair them. LOL
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Yeah I'd like to learn how to repair them, but according to several techs, I need at least an o-scope. I already had to fix my other Onkyo as the motor would screech. So I took apart the transport and the motor causing the noise. I put 1 drop of synthetic oil on the shaft below the pulley, and allowed it to seep in to reach the bearing inside. I hooked it up with my portable power supply and engaged the motor. Added 1 more drop and let it sit overnight. Once assembled, the noise is now gone. Yeah pretty funny that cassettes are making a come back.

One of the best decks is the Nakamichi Dragon. Most are going for crazy shit prices like over $2000!

I'm good fixing mechanical stuff, but when it comes to electronics I'm lost.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

(I can't see the images posted) UGH!

I had an Onkyo amp/receiver. Nice unit. Eventually passed away.

I didn't realize cassettes were making a comeback.
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hmm, I can't see his images anymore either, but I could when he first posted.

Direct link doesn't work so I think it's the forum they're posted on. Deleted or blocked I guess.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I fixed the images - uploaded them to IMGUR. It was the other forum that I belong to: http://www.tapeheads.net/ so they may have blocked them.

I just picked up about 25 music cassettes and it also included a Teac W520R which is dual deck. I'm not a fan of dual decks but it was included with the cassettes for only $15. This one also had the same issue with screeching motors on both sides. Taking the transport out was easier than the other decks I have. Took about 5 minutes to remove it from the deck.

So got that one fixed and I have it in my garage. So now I have 5 cassette decks LOL.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Executioner wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:16 pm So got that one fixed and I have it in my garage. So now I have 5 cassette decks LOL.
LMAO
------------------------------------------